With most carriers rolling out multi-services, including voice, video, fax, and data transported via packet networks, there is need for constant testing and monitoring of Quality of Service (QoS) and Network Performance of Next Generation Networks (NGN).
GL's PacketScan™ - an All-IP Network Monitoring software offers powerful features to capture and monitor live signaling and traffic over IP (IPv4 & IPv6). The application can decode, segregate, and Troubleshoot network problems for all VOIP and wireless protocols, traffic types over IP network.
The PacketScan™ is available in the following flavors -
- Real-time PacketScan™ (PKV100) software
- PacketScan™ HD (High Density) IP Traffic Analyzer w/ 4x1GigE (PKV120) – includes Online PKV100 for temporary audio codec support
- PacketScan™ HD (High Density) Network Monitoring Appliance w/ 2x10GigE (PKV122) – includes Online PKV100 for temporary audio codec support
GL’s PacketScan™ HD is a high-density, multi-protocol 2U rack-mounted network monitoring appliance designed to capture and process IP packets on high-speed Ethernet links, supporting both 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps links.
Packet Data Analysis (PDA) is an outstanding tool for live monitoring of signaling and traffic over IP. Packet Data Analysis (PDA) is distributed with GL’s Packet Analyzers, allowing users to monitor live IP networks including capture, analysis, and reporting of every call in detail. Supported protocols include SIP, MSRP, MEGACO, MGCP, H.323, SCCP, RANAP (UMTS IuCS), GSM A, CAMEL, BICC, ISUP, MAP, Gb, and GTP. It can capture IP packets over different transmission lines, including IP, T1, E1, T3, E3, and OC-3 STM-1 / OC-12 STM-4. PDA then processes the captured packets, identifies, and segregates calls based on signaling and traffic parameters.
Explore enhanced 5G Network Monitoring with GL's PacketScan™ 5G protocol analyzer. It efficiently captures, segregates, monitors, and gathers statistics for all calls conducted across N1, N2, N4, N8, N12, and N13 interfaces within the 5G network. Elevate your network analysis capabilities with the optional PacketScan™ 5G Protocol Analyzer module.
GL’s TCP Analytics application analyzes TCP connections between both internal Local Area Network (LAN) and external Wide Area Network (WAN) computers including servers and clients. The application helps troubleshoot large bandwidth consumption, failed TCP sessions, packet loss, poor TCP throughput and more. TCP Analytics (PKV400) is an optional application with PacketScan™.
PacketScan™: Supported Applications
- Supports decoding of almost all industry standard signaling protocols – See Protocol List for more details.
- SIP, SIP-I, SIP-T, MSRP, H.323, MEGACO, MGCP, Skinny (SCCP)
- Supports decoding of eCPRI protocol
- IMS-SIP, Diameter
- 5G - N1N2, N4, N8, N12, and N13 (requires additional licensing)
- LTE (requires additional licensing)
- SIGTRAN – SS7, ISDN (requires additional licensing)
- GSM A and Abis over IP (requires additional licensing)
- GPRS Gb and Gn over IP (requires additional licensing)
- UMTS IuCs and IuPs over IP (requires additional licensing)
- T.38 and Video calls
- ED-137/ED-138 (requires additional licensing)
- Monitors QoS (quality of service) on voice and video calls
- All traffic supported – Digits, Tones, Voice, Video, Fax Live monitoring IPv4 and IPv6 networks
- Listen audio data of a session in real-time
- Perform power, frequency, spectral, tone and digit analysis
- Monitor / record audio data of a session to files (QuickTime *.qt format)
- Video Statistics provides a measure of Video Call Quality in IP networks; these include Media Type, SSRC, Packet Statistics, Average Delay/Gap, Video Frame count, Frame rate, Media Delivery Index (MDI- (Delay Factor: Media Loss Rate)), and Average MDI for each session
- SIP ED-137/ED-138 for Air Traffic Monitoring (Air-to-Ground, Ground-to-Ground calls, and Record interface)
- Capture and monitor live signaling and MSRP traffic over IP interface
- Segregates, captures, and collects statistics on VoIP and Wireless calls
- Permits analysis of adherence to protocol standards for the system under test or observation
- Provides graphical presentation of analysis including ladder diagrams of protocols
- Operating System - Windows® 10 & above
Thousands of calls can be monitored in real-time including detailed analysis of selected voice band streams. Applications include testing of IP phones, Gateways, IP Routers and Switches, and Proxies.
Detailed call statistics such as packet loss, gap, jitter, delay, RTP performance statistics, R-factor & MOS scores, and unparalleled voice band statistics can be monitored simultaneously. Sophisticated filters permit zooming and recording of specific calls of interest.
What sets apart PacketScan™ is its ability to collect vital statistics about calls for theoretically infinite time. The ability of PacketScan™ to capture data is limited only by the hard disk capacity of the PC. It can work with NetSurveyorWeb™ and NetSurveyorWeb™ Lite, a web-based central monitoring system for a comprehensive view of network performance. It features rich graphics, ladder diagrams and CDRs (Call Detail Records). NetSurveyorWeb™ is an easy plug-and-play system that collects data, segregates, and provides comprehensive analysis of network health, detailed protocol monitoring with historical data retention.
|Real-time and Offline Analysis
Screen Shot of Real-time Analysis
|Call Detail Records
Screen Shot of Call Detail Record and Statistics View
|Supported Codecs||Almost all industry standard codecs supported. For more information, please see "Voice Codec" webpage.|
|As a stand-alone tool||
|As a Probe with Central Monitoring System - NetSurveyorWeb™||PacketScan™ can send protocol fields, and call detail records, along with traffic summary of captured calls to a central database. NetSurveyorWeb™ displays the data from the database in a simple web-based browser, featuring rich graphics, custom search, report and filter configurations.|
|As a Single Point Packet over IP CDR Analysis System||PacketScan™ HD can work with GL’s VoiceBand Analyzer and Call Detail Records applications to generate call detail records as CSV files and voice files for each direction. The call detail records are used for further analysis using built-in Excel® tools.|
|Filtering and Search
Screen Shot of Real-time Capture filter
Screen Shot of Offline View Filter
|Packet Data Analysis||
|Triggers and Actions||
|Traffic (Digits, Audio, Video, Fax) Handling||
|SIP Registration Details||
PacketScan™ software can be easily integrated with any type of PC platforms, including regular laptops, portable handhelds, and 1U rackmounts.,
Following variants of PacketScan™ are available:
- As a Stand Alone Tool for Real-Time Analysis (PacketScan™)
- As an Offline Analysis Tool (PacketScan™)
- High-Density Packet Monitoring Tool (PacketScan™ HD)
PacketScan™ HD is an high density multi-protocol 2U rack mounted network monitoring appliance w/ 4x1GigE (PKV120) and w/2x10GigE (PKV122) to capture and process high volumes of communication protocols over IP and Wireless
For more information please visit "High-Density Packet Monitoring Tool" webpage.
- ATM Network Quality Monitoring Tools per ED-138
GL's PacketScan™ - an All-IP Network Monitoring software offers powerful features to capture and monitor live signaling and traffic over IP. It captures, decodes, segregates, monitors and collects statistics on all IP calls, as per EUROCAE ED-138. Ease of viewing Ground-to-Ground calls and Air-to-Ground sessions is possible
- As a Probe with Central Monitoring System (NetSurveyorWeb™)
PacketScan™ can be deployed as a centralized monitoring system with associated relational or Oracle database. PacketScan™ can send Summary Fields, Frame Octets, and Call Detail Records to database along with Traffic Summary for the captured calls
For more information please visit "NetSurveyorWeb™ Live Demo" webpage.
- As a Probe with simplified web-based Monitoring system (NetSurveyorWeb™ Lite)
PacketScan™ can be integrated with NetSurveyorWeb™ Lite version, which is a simple web-based client and works at the probe level, as an addon tool to enhance the features of protocol analyzers enhancing the capability to handle larger volume of data, filter for specific calls, build custom statistics and KPIs, automate and graphical analysis features to analyze the call detail records (CDRs) in depth. It is an easy plug-and-play system that collects data, segregates, and provides comprehensive analysis of network health, detailed protocol monitoring with historical data retention up to 9 GB
Detailed Packet Analysis
Packet Data Analysis (PDA) is an outstanding tool for live monitoring of signaling and traffic over IP. Packet Data Analysis (PDA) is distributed with GL’s Packet Analyzers, allowing users to monitor live IP networks including capture, analysis, and reporting of every call in detail. Supported protocols include SIP, MEGACO, MGCP, H.323, SCCP, RANAP (UMTS IuCS), GSM A, CAMEL, BICC, ISUP, MAP, Gb, and GTP. It can capture IP packets over different transmission lines, including IP, T1, E1, T3, E3, and OC-3 STM-1 / OC-12 STM-4. PDA then processes the captured packets, identifies, and segregates calls based on signaling and traffic parameters.
PacketScan™ provides in-depth real-time and post-process data investigation. The PDA view assists in any comparisons that are to be made between the two RTP sessions. Packet Data Analysis (PDA) view displays call information in graphical format (Traffic Analyzer Call Quality Matrix- Summary View) as well as in tabular format (RTP Diagnostic - Detail View).
Graphs are provided for key statistics for network monitoring and troubleshooting. Graphs available include – Active Calls, Average Jitter, E-Model MOS/R-Factor/Packets Discarded, RTP Packets Summary, ladder diagram for T.38 based fax calls and call signaling, Gap, Jitter, Gap/Jitter Distribution, Wave and Spectral Display for media stream analysis, VoIP calls and more.
CDR Report Generation
PacketScan™ can generate PDF reports summarizing all calls or a certain subset of the calls captured. The PDA Summary View can also export all terminated call details as a text file (CSV format) during the live capture. This feature requires activating the Export Terminated Calls option from PDA prior to live capturing. This structured text file can be imported into Excel® using a custom add-in (Excel-Dashboard-Tool-IP.xlsm) to generate different chart types such as call volumes, call duration, call failure causes, CMOS, LMOS, packet loss and more.
For more details, refer CDR Analysis Tools webpage.
- Call Summary displays signaling, audio, and video QoS parameters for each call.
Signaling parameters include Caller & Callee id information, call duration, session information (Establishment Ratio, Establishment Effective Ratio, Session Defects, Ineffective Session Attempts, Completion Ratio, Request delay, Post Pickup Delay), and so on.
Audio parameters include media type, packet count, jitter, delay, gap, MOS, R-factor, lost packets, and so on.
Video QoS parameters such as Video Channels, Codec Info, SSRC, Frame Count, Packet Count, Packets Lost, Frame Rate, Media Delivery Index (Delay Factor : Media Loss Rate), Average Media Delivery Index are calculated for all video calls.
- Detailed statistical information are provided for Inband (DTMF & MF )events, RFC 2833 events, RTP/RTCP packet count and reports per direction, Duplicate and Missing Packets.
- Calculates minimum, maximum, and average Round Trip Delay (RTD) values for SIP calls
- Call Quality Of Service (QoS) for all calls with E-Model based (G.107) Mean Opinion Score (MOS) and R-factor with individual and summary statistics presented in graphical and tabular formats
- User can get real-time call trace for SIP Sessions and on H225 calls
Triggers and Action Feature
- Supports triggers and action feature to further filter calls based on certain protocol parameters followed by a set of actions for the completed calls. Some of such parameters are MOS, R-factor, jitter, packet loss, duplicate packets, or called / calling numbers.
- The actions include saving a call to a file, recording the audio to a file, sending an email, generating an alert summary, creating Call Detail Records, viewing custom calls in summary view, and extracting fax images from the captured calls in TIFF format.
- Users can specify the file formats of calls as *.hdl, *.pcap, *.pcapng, and/or *.wav format. Call Detail Record outputs 3 CSV files, call master record, call side record, and call events record, along with the voice file recordings for each direction. These files can be used with GL's Voice Band Analyzer, and Call Data Records for further analysis and retrieval of calls of interest.
Traffic Handling Features (Fax, Digits)
- T.38 fax calls
PacketScan™ software supports capturing and decoding of Fax (T.38 data) calls over VoIP. PacketScan™ fax decodes can be viewed in the form of T.38 call graph and call summary with decoded information for all T.38 messages received on the call. The captured fax calls by PacketScan™ can also be analyzed using GLInsight™ by saving the fax calls directly in (*.PCAP) Ethereal file format. T.38 has been enhanced to reassemble the fragmented data and to identify the T.30 message from it. Identified T.30 message is displayed in the T.38 ladder diagram.
PacketScan™ also allows users to extract fax image in the TIFF format from the selected fax call in either GL's proprietary *.HDL file format or in Ethereal *.PCAP file format.
- Real-Time Digit Capturing
Audio Handling Features
- Play to Speaker
Play To Speaker application allows the user to play the RTP streams of a call to the PC speaker using a soundcard. A host of options such as Jitter Buffer settings, As Is, Audio Mixing and so on are available for users to play a live call in real-time or play captured voice files.
- Write To File
- Save Call
Supports Save Call feature to save successful and failed calls in either in GL’s proprietary *.HDL file format, Ethereal *.PCAP file format, or *.PCAPNG file format. Call Summary details could also be saved for a particular call and this will be saved as a *.rtf file. This allows the users to get data from real-time traffic locations for detailed analysis of a flawed call.
Video Quality Metrics
Support Video Statistics such as Source/Destination Video Channels, Media Type, SSRC, Average Delay/Gap, Packet Counts, Codec Type, Missing Packets, Delay, Gap, Video Frame Count, Out Of Sequence count, Duplicate Packets count, Media Delivery Index (MDI- (Delay Factor : Media Loss Rate)), and Frame Rate are provided for each video session. PacketScan™ with Voice, Data, and Video QoS capability addresses customers long felt need of call quality analysis in IP networks.
Media Delivery Index (MDI) measurement is used as a diagnostic tool or as a quality indicator for monitoring a network intended to deliver applications such as streaming media, MPEG video, Voice over IP, or other information sensitive to arrival time and packet loss. Media Delivery Index (MDI) can be used to monitor both the quality of a delivered video stream and to show system margin for IPTV systems by giving an accurate measurement of jitter and delay at network level (Internet Protocol, IP), which are the real causes for quality loss. The Media Delivery Index is typically shown as two numbers separated by a colon the Delay Factor (DF) and the Media Loss Rate (MLR).
Packet Data Analysis is enhanced to display the SIP registration information in tabular as well as graphical format in Registration Summary. This interface displays the SIP registration information in a tabular format which includes user agent, registrar, registered time, status, time to live (TTL), expiry time, remaining time, Registration Request Delay (RRD) and Registration attempts for each user agent. In addition, it displays the active registration graph of the entire registration summary and provides the trace display of each registration.
Include graphs that display the active registration and registration trace message sequences of registered calls at the bottom of the registration summary. The registration statistics display the count of the total, completed, failed, & active registrations along with registration and de-registration packet count.
Frequently Asked Questions
|Item No.||Item Description|
|PKV100||PacketScan™ - (Online and Offline)|
|PKV101||PacketScan™ - Offline|
|PKV110||IMS Protocol Decodes (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV107||LTE (Long Term Evolution) Analyzer (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV108||Offline LTE (Long Term Evolution) Analyzer (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV112||5G Analyzer (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV113||Offline 5G Analyzer - Optional with PKV101 (offline PacketScan™) and PKV170 (NetsurveyorWeb™)|
|PKV105||SIGTRAN (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV106||Offline SIGTRAN Analyzer (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV103||IP Based GSM and UMTS Analyzer (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV109||Offline IP Based GSM and UMTS Analyzer (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PKV104||FaxScan™ for SIP and Fax over IP (T.38)|
|PKV400||TCP Analytics (Optional with PacketScan™)|
|PCD103||AMR Codec - Narrowband (requires additional license)|
|PCD104||EVRC Codec (requires additional license)|
|PCD105||EVRC-B Codec (requires additional license)|
|PCD106||EVRC-C Codec (requires additional license)|
|PCD107||AMR Codec - Wideband (requires additional license)|
|PCD108||Optional Codec - EVS (requires additional license)|
|PCD109||Optional Codec - Opus (requires additional license)|
|PKV120||PacketScan™ HD w/4 x 1GigE|
|PKV120p||PacketScan™ HD w/4 x 1GigE - Portable|
|PKV122||PacketScan™ HD w/2 x 10GigE|
|PKV123||PacketRecorder™ HD & PacketRePlay™ HD|
|PKV122p||PacketScan™ HD w/2 x 10 GigE - Portable|
|PKV301||LAN Switch w/ Mirror Port
Power Adapter (1)
|PKS120||MAPS™ SIP Emulator|
|PKS102||RTP Soft Core for RTP Traffic Generation (additional)|
- Probe Level WebServer, PacketScan™, and Oracle 11g Express Edition;
|PKV170||NetsurveyorWeb™(Perpetual License, Unlimited Users/Nodes)
– Includes Oracle 11g Standard Edition One and Standard Server-Grade Computing Platform
|Packet over IP CDR Analysis System|
|Refer to CDR Buyer's Guide|
|For T1 E1 Datacom|
|XX135||T1 or E1 MLPPP Analyzer|
|OLV135||Offline T1 or E1 MLPPP Analyzer|
|XX136||PPP and MLPPP Packet Analysis – Real-time Packet Voice, Video, and Fax Analysis|
|For T3 E3|
|XX135||T3 / E3 PPP Analyzer (GUI)|
|XX136||PPP and MLPPP Packet Analysis – Real-time Packet Voice, Video, and Fax Analysis|
|For OC3 OC12|
|Protocol Analysis for PoS OC3 / STM1
Packet Data Analysis (PDA) for PoS OC3 / STM1
Protocol Analysis for PoS OC12 / STM4
Packet Data Analysis (PDA) for PoS OC12 / STM4
|Protocol Analysis UMTS OC3 / STM1
Packet Data Analysis (PDA) UMTS OC3 / STM1
Protocol Analysis UMTS OC12 / STM4
Packet Data Analysis (PDA) UMTS OC3 / STM1
|PacketScan™ 5G Protocol Analyzer Presentation|
|PacketScan™ HD Presentation|
|TCP Analytics Presentation|