GL Product License / Warranty / Lease Information
EC and FCC Compliance and Labeling | Rental and Lease with Option to Buy
Software / Hardware License
GL Product Licensing Information
All GL products come with licensing schemes for standard and optional software,
- Permanent licenses are perpetual in nature i.e. they are valid for life and based on a serial # embedded in the hardware of a hardware based product
- USB dongle based licenses (with embedded serial #) - are for software and hardware based products and come as “permanent” and “timed” versions.
- Permanent licenses – These licenses are valid for life
- Timed licenses for short durations – These licenses are valid for a specified time period and can be extended for short durations
- Software based licenses
- Timed software based licenses – valid for a limited time, useful for evaluation or demo.
- Permanent software licenses – valid for life but with the following administrative requirements.
- Applicable for Virtual Machine environments or where customer IT restrictions prevent use of previously discussed license methods.
- Customer must contact GL to renew the permanent software license every six months to one year of purchase or expiration. GL will attempt to contact the customer well in advance of expiration, but customer should not rely on GL.
- Permanent software based licenses require warranty / comprehensive support contract to be active perpetually.
Available Licensing Schemes
All GL Hardware and Software licences are perpetual, and the validity of the license is for life. It is advisable to keep the license installer safe for future use. Licensing schemes are available for temporary purposes such as for the purpose of evaluation. Licensing methods depend on the customer needs. These schemas are explained briefly in the following sections.
- Many GL hardware based products incorporate an embedded serial number. The software associated with the hardware products (usually residing in a PC or Server computing platform) is licensed to the hardware serial number (denoted “Hardware License”).
- The GL hardware may connect to any PC/Server which has the hardware license installed.
- Additional licenses may be added with subsequent purchases to the same hardware license.
- Application license installer comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit so that user has the choice of use depending on the type of system.
License protected by Software based License or USB dongle based License
GL’s software based products may come with the standard software / USB dongle based license. These software based licenses work on Virtual Machines (VM) There are two types of licensing schemes available with software only products:.
- Physical USB dongle based license.
- Software based license (without any physical dongle).
With physical USB dongle
- License will be tied to a physical USB dongle connected to the PC/Server with the GL application to be licensed.
- Licenses may be provided in both 32-bit and 64-bit format.
- The GL application will execute only if the USB dongle is attached to the PC and the license software is installed. Note the license software can be installed on any number of PCs, noting the GL software will execute only if the USB dongle is inserted.
- If a dongle is moved to another PC, then the license must be installed on the other PC before executing GL application.
Without physical USB dongle
- Software based licensing is available for many of GL’s software only products. These are useful where restrictions of attaching a physical dongle are imposed e.g. IT security
- In software based licensing no physical dongle is required to be connected.
- Customer requires to send their PC/Server system information to GL on which they wish to install the software license and the application. This information will be used for sending the software based licenses.
- GL will not share this information with anyone, it will be kept confidential and this information will be purely used for generating the licenses
- Our comprehensive technical support team will work with you to get the hardware signature of your system and then go through the procedure by which the respective software license will be generated and installed securely.
- Our team will need to coordinate with you and follow few procedures in order to generate these licenses. These procedures are simple and easy to follow;
- It is required to visit our software licensing web portal on our website with the secure login credentials shared via email for generating these licenses.
- When the software key is activated the system must maintain a connection to the Internet for periodic verification of the software key license.
Network Key license
- NetKey license will be useful when you want a single application to be accessed by multiple users within a LAN or WAN
- In this type of licensing a physical dongle will be connected to a single system which we call it as a license server, this will contain the licenses of all the applications purchased
- Actual GL application can be running on different systems and application will connect to NetKey license installed on the license server through LAN
Shared WAN Evaluation licensing (Currently available for Evaluation only)
- Shared WAN license is useful when there is a restriction of using USB dongle inside the customer’s lab due to security restrictions. This type of license is useful when single application is accessed by multiple users.
- WAN connection is required for this type of licensing to work, currently it is available only while customers are evaluating our products.
- In order to enable product evaluations GL administrators run the license generation utility to write licensing information on SWE key and to create the corresponding configuration file
- This type of license is useful for secured environments where any external hardware is not allowed to be installed, it will help to execute any GL application on multiple systems by connecting to the GL server thru a WAN connection for licensing.
Ownership Of Software / Hardware And Copyrights
Title to all copies of the Software remains with GL Communications Inc. or its suppliers. The Software is copyrighted and protected by the laws of the United States and other countries, and international treaty provisions. You may not remove any copyright notices from the Software / Hardware. GL Communications Inc. may make changes to the Software / Hardware, or to items referenced therein, at any time without notice, but is not obligated to support or update the Software / Hardware.
Except as expressly provided, GL Communications Inc. grants no actual or implied rights under GL Communications Inc. patents, copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights. You may transfer the Software / Hardware only if the recipient agrees to be fully bound by these terms.
Limitation Of Liability
In no event shall GL or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever (including lost profits, business interruption, or lost information) arising out of the use of or in the ability to use this Software / Hardware.
Termination Of This License Agreement
GL may terminate this License Agreement at any time if you violate its terms. Upon termination, you will immediately destroy the Software or return all copies of the Software to GL.
Claims arising under this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of Maryland. You may not export the Software / Hardware in violation of applicable export laws and regulations. GL is not obligated under any other agreements unless they are in writing and signed by an authorized representative of GL.
Standard Warranty / Extended / Warranty / Lease / Comprehensive Support
GL-branded products are covered with:
- A Standard First Year Limited Hardware and Software Warranty and Comprehensive Support (hereafter called Standard First Year Policy), or
- An Extended Limited Hardware and Software Warranty and Comprehensive Support (hereafter called Extended Policy).
The customer may renew (continue) warranty service (highly recommended) on a yearly basis and enjoy the benefits of first year service for additional years with an Extended Policy. The Extended Policy (equivalent to the Standard First Year Policy) also includes comprehensive Technical Support. This warranty can also be purchased at the time of initial purchase or can be renewed before the end of Standard First Year Policy.
The Standard First Year Policy includes PC/Server Warranty if it is part of the purchase. The PC/Server Warranty is normally limited to five years total from the date of purchase. It may be extended beyond five years but requires that GL evaluate the performance and condition of the PC/Server prior to such extension.
Please contact GL Communications Inc. for purchasing the Extended Policy, before expiration of the Standard First Year Policy, else excess charges may be incurred due to lapse in coverage or in extreme cases, Extended Policy may not be granted.
Warranty Coverage Extension, Interruption, and Reinstatement
Standard First Year Policy starts from the day the product was delivered to the recipient and expires in One year from that date. Extended Policy (beyond the First year) must be purchased by the user within the first years’ service. Extended Policy extensions can continue indefinitely in this manner.
If Extended Policy is not purchased for the next period within the currently active period, Extended Policy coverage is interrupted and can be reinstated at GL’s sole discretion and is subjected to the following conditions:
- GL may request equipment inspection at users cost. Depending on the equipment condition GL may deny Extended Policy. It is sole discretion of GL to accept or deny Extended Policy after the interruption.
- The purchaser will need to pay a Reinstatement Fee in addition to the Extended Policy fee if the coverage is expired for more than 30 days.
- PC/Server Warranty shall be, in most cases, limited to five years. GL may extend beyond this period based on PC/Server condition.
Standard First Year Policy - Hardware and Software Limited Warranty
GL Communications Inc. provides coverage for all its products, against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one year from receipt of the product by the purchaser. The product list includes:
- T1 E1 Products – tProbe™ T1 E1 unit, tProbe™ Datacom Analyzer, Octal T1 E1 card, tScan16™ T1 E1 card, Dual PCIe Xpress card, Link Test Dual E1
- T3 E3 OC-3/12 & STM-1/4 Products – USB T3 E3 unit, SonetExpert™ Channelized and Unchannelized Analyzer (Web Interface)
- Voice, Video and Data Quality Testing Products – VQT Software, Dual UTA HD, VQuad™ Probe HD
- Ethernet /IP / VoIP Products – PacketExpert™1G/10G/10GX, PacketCheck™, PacketScan™, PacketScan™ HD, PacketExpert™ Web based application
- Optical Testing – STM-1 Mux and Traffic Capture/Analysis Hardware, SONET/SDH Analysis & Emulation Tester
- 2-Wire Analog Testing – MAPS™ APS and ALS (Analog Phone/Line Simulator), tProbe™ FXO and FXS, MAPS™ CAS on T1/E1 Card, VQuad™ Dual UTA HD FXO, VQuad™ Probe HD FXO, 24 Port VQuad™ HD Analog Phone Simulator
- mTOP™ Platforms : mTOP™ is a 1u or 2U rack mount enclosure, w/ or w/o Single Board Computer (SBC)
- MAPS™ based TDM/IP Protocol Emulation software products
- Fax & Modem Testing Products – GLInsight™, FaxScan™
- Network Surveillance System – NetSurveyorWeb™
If GL receives notice of defects during the warranty period, it will either replace or repair the products. If unable to repair or replace, GL at its cost, may upgrade the product to one of equal or greater functionality.
The Standard First Year hardware warranty is provided with the initial purchase price. The customer may renew this warranty service on a yearly basis and enjoy the benefits of first year service for the additional years. The basic and extended service includes the following:
- All hardware and software (including PC if part of original purchase from GL) is warranted for one year from the date of purchase.
- GL will assist the customer to troubleshoot the purchased equipment to determine if hardware or software is defective. If hardware is determined to be defective, customer is required to send the defective equipment at their cost. GL will bear the return cost. Replacement equipment will be sent if necessary, to reduce downtime to the customer.
The Standard First Year software upgrades and comprehensive support is provided with the initial purchase price. The customer may renew this warranty service on a yearly basis and enjoy the benefits of First Year service for the additional years. The basic and extended service includes the following:
- Telephone, E-mail, live help through GL Website, remote desktop, IM, and Skype based comprehensive technical support during regular GL business hours with prompt and courteous problem resolution.
- Assistance to the customer to troubleshoot the purchased equipment to determine if hardware or software is defective. During the warranty period if software is determined to be at fault, GL will expeditiously debug and repair the software at no cost to the customer. E-mail, FTP, and FedEx or equivalent will be used to send the repaired software to the customer.
- GL will maintain problem record tracking of all customer issues.
- Software upgrades, bug fixes, and patches shall be provided at no cost to the customer during the warranty period.
Note: Extended One Year (total Two Years) PC Warranty at the time of sale for the PC Platform is available. Please contact GL Communications Inc for purchasing extended PC warranty.
The Standard First Year PC warranty is provided with the initial purchase price. The customer may renew this warranty service on a yearly basis and enjoy the benefits of First Year service for the additional years. The basic and extended service includes the following:
- The PC is warranted for one year from the date of purchase. GL will assist the customer to troubleshoot the purchased equipment to determine if the PC hardware or software is defective. If hardware is determined to be defective, customer is required to send the defective equipment at their cost. GL will bear the return cost.
- Replacement equipment will be sent if necessary, to reduce downtime to the customer. If PC software is determined to be defective, GL may elect to send new software and repair the unit remotely.
This warranty does not cover the items namely, problems arising from abuse, screen burn-in, power surges, or computer virus.
During the support/warranty period if for some reason (e.g. parts unavailability), the product cannot be repaired then it will be replaced with the new product/hardware/software at no additional cost. Customer shall send the old unit for replacement at customer’s cost; GL shall send the new, backward compatible.
Hardware (Includes PC)
GL Communications Inc. warrants all the hardware products, including PC, purchased in the order, against defects in material and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of receipt of the product to the recipient.
The above ‘Standard First Year Warranty for Hardware’ shall not apply to defects resulting from improper operation, inadequate maintenance, shipping damage, power surge, power outage, or unauthorized use or modification by the customer of the product.
GL Communications Inc. warrants the licensed software products to perform in substantial conformance to the applicable GL software specifications for a period of one year from the date of receipt of the product to the recipient.
The above ‘Standard First Year Warranty for Software’ shall not apply to issues resulting from improper operation, inadequate maintenance, power surge, power outage, or unauthorized use or modification by the customer of the product.
On receiving Purchase Order (“PO”) requiring physical shipment of GL hardware, software or licensing dongle, the shipping cost includes handling and insurance charges as quoted in the Purchase Order.
The terms and conditions of insurance are subject to the freight forwarder, please refer to the respective terms. If customer opt to use their own choice of freight forwarder, it is the responsibility of the customer to review the terms and conditions of the insurance with their freight forwarder accordingly. In this case, GL is not obligated towards any damages during the shipment.
Extended Limited Hardware and Software Warranty
The Standard First Year Warranty for software upgrades, hardware warranty, and comprehensive support is provided with the initial purchase price. The customer may renew this warranty service on a yearly basis as ‘Extended Warranty’ and enjoy the benefits of First Year service for the purchased year at a nominal price for all our products.
The above ‘Extended Warranty’ shall not apply to defects resulting from improper operation, inadequate maintenance, shipping damage, power surge, or unauthorized use or modification by the customer of the product.
Note that PC warranties can only be extended based on the sole discretion of GL depending on the current state of the PC.
All other terms and conditions for troubleshooting and shipping will remain same as mentioned above under ‘Standard First Year Warranty’ section.
The GL software will be upgraded on a periodic timeframe (usually once every three months). However, the interim software releases may also be available on a routine basis. Please contact customer support for information concerning interim software releases.
All software upgrades are available on the GL Communications web site (www.gl.com). Download the latest upgrade (available if products are covered under warranty). If additional licenses are required, contact GL Communications (using voice or email). Please note that before upgrading any GL software, the existing installation directory should be backed-up to another location. This will allow the user to revert to the previous software in case a problem arises during upgrade.
Warranty Exclusions and Limitations
In no event shall GL be liable for any direct or indirect or consequential damages resulting from improper operation, inadequate maintenance, or unauthorized use or modification by the customer of the GL products or software.
Neither party shall be held liable or responsible to the other party nor be deemed to have defaulted under or breached this Agreement for failure or delay in fulfilling or performing any term of this Agreement to the extent, and for so long as, such failure or delay is caused by or results from causes beyond the reasonable control of the affected party including but not limited to pandemics, fire, floods, embargoes, war, acts of war (whether war be declared or not), acts of terrorism, insurrections, riots, civil commotions, strikes, lockouts or other labor disturbances, acts of God or acts, omissions or delays in acting by any governmental authority or the other party.
Obtaining Service During and Beyond Warranty Period
To obtain warranty service, the customer shall return the GL product to GL Communications with proof of purchase and an explanation of the problem. The customer shall pay for shipping charges and GL shall pay for return shipping. For service beyond the warranty period, contact GL for details of available service.
GL’s Return Policy
GL Communications Inc. accepts returns or exchanges within 30 days from the original purchase. All returns and exchanges must be in original condition and include all accessories. All returns, exchanges and price adjustments will be made in the country of original purchase. GL Communications Inc. reserves the right to request identification and to deny any return.
EC and FCC Compliance and Labeling
The GL hardware have been verified as complying with the Class A limits, and as such the following statements, special note, and warning are mandatory.
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of FCC Rules.
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instruction manual, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. Operation of this equipment in a residential area is likely to cause Interference in which case the user will be required to correct the interference at his/her own expense.
WARNING: This is a Class A product. In a domestic environment this product may cause radio interference in which case the user may be required to take adequate measures.
EC Declaration of Conformity for the EC EMC Directive (89/336/EEC)
The GL hardware comply with the requirements for a Class A device under the provisions of EN55022, Harmonized European Norm EN55022: 1994 known as Limits and Methods of Measurement of Radio Disturbance Characteristics of Information Technology Equipment.
The GL hardware comply with the requirements of EN50082-1: 1992 known as Electromagnetic Compatibility - Generic Immunity Standard Part 1. Residential, Commercial and Light Industry.
All measurements were performed at Washington Laboratories, Ltd., test center in Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
GL Rental/Lease Plan
GL equipment can be rented or leased. GL requires a two-month minimum. The monthly charge for Months 1 through 6 is 20% of the value of the equipment selected. The 7th and last month's payment is 10% of the value of the equipment. After the 7th payment, ownership transfers to the renter/lessee. 75% of cumulative payments are applicable towards outright purchase at any stage. Shipment to the customer is borne by GL and return shipment by the customer.
All GL products have undergone extensive testing prior to shipment. All the functions have been thoroughly tested. However, if there are problems that you discover, please call us. We are here to help.
GL Communications Inc.
818 West Diamond Avenue - Third Floor
Gaithersburg, MD 20878