Press Release : Enhanced PacketExpert™ with Record/Playback
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA – October 25, 2013- GL Communications Inc announced today its enhanced PacketExpert™ with WireSpeed Capture and Playback feature.
Speaking to reporters, Mr. Jagdish Vadalia, Senior Manager for Product Development of the Company said, “PacketExpert™ is a portable (USB based) Quad Port Ethernet / VLAN / MPLS / IP / UDP Tester with 4 Electrical Ethernet Ports (10/100/1000 Mbps) and 2 Optical Ports (1000 Mbps). Each GigE port provides independent Ethernet/VLAN/MPLS/IP and UDP testing at wire speed for applications such as BERT, RFC 2544, Loopback and IP Link Simulation. BERT is implemented for all layers. RFC 2544 is applicable for Layers 2, 2.5, and 3, and Loopback is applicable for Layers 2, 3, and 4.”
He added, “PacketExpert™ has been enhanced with new WireSpeed Capture and Playback feature that allows users to record incoming packets to files and transmit packets from a pre-recorded file at wire speed. This new feature allows capturing real world traffic and then simulating it by playing back from the recorded file. Utilizing the onboard 2 GB memory and the WireSpeed filter, users can capture useful amounts of data at wire speed (upto 1 Gbps), which can be used for later analysis.
WireSpeed Capture and Playback supports popular capture file formats such as PCAP/NGPCAP (Wireshark® formats) for playback that gives the user flexibility in recreating live network conditions – traffic captured on a live network (using either PacketExpert™ or Wireshark®) can be easily recreated in the lab.”
Important features of the WireSpeed Capture with Filter Application:
- Capture simultaneously on 2 optical or electrical GigE ports and on either port user can set a filter upto 40 bytes in length.
- Each bit can be set to ‘filtered’ or ‘don’t care’ condition via filter mask
- Filter can be set to any offset within the packet, which gives flexibility to filter particular fields within protocol headers. Eg: Source/Destination MAC Address, Source/Destination IP Address etc.
- Up to 16 value/mask pairs can be defined per filter
- Files can be recorded in DAT (.dat - GL proprietary), HDL (.hdl - GL Proprietary and can be used for offline analysis by GL’s PacketScanTM), PCAP (.pcap - used by Wireshark®) and NGPCAP (.pcapng/.ntar – next generation Wireshark®) formats.
Important features of the Playback from File Application:
- Playback can be done on up to 3 ports simultaneously
- The transmission can be either continuous or limited to a specified number of packets or be set to play the file till the end-of-file.
- The supported file formats from which the packets can be transmitted are DAT (.dat - GL proprietary), HDL (.hdl - GL Proprietary and can be used for offline analysis by GL’s PacketScanTM), PCAP (.pcap - used by Wireshark®) and NGPCAP (.pcapng/.ntar – next generation Wireshark®) formats. The files used for playback can be created using the Record-to-File application or can be a file captured by Wireshark®.