Traffic Simulation across IP, Analog, TDM, and Wireless Networks
As traffic intensity increases, network elements (including switches and transmission) can impart various impairments such as errors, excessive delay, congestion, blocking, loss, and degraded quality. Simulating traffic can be valuable to characterize the impairment as a function of traffic intensity and traffic types (e.g. Voice, Fax, Data, Video).
Message Automation and Protocol Simulation (MAPS™) is a multi-protocol, multi-technology platform performs signaling and traffic generation for a vast array of communication protocols covering IP, Analog, TDM, and Wireless networks. MAPS™ can be used to test signaling over legacy networks (which use conventional signaling such as CAS, SS7, ISDN, PPP,…), newer generation IP networks (such as SIP, MGCP, MEGACO, SIGTRAN, Diameter…), and also the Wireless networks including GSM, UMTS, and LTE.
The product supports -
- RTP traffic simulation (PKS102)
over UMTS IuCS & IuH, SIP, SIP I, MGCP, MEGACO, GSM A over IP interfaces
- TDM traffic simulation (xx610, xx620, xxFT0)
over ISDN, SS7, GSM A, CAS interfaces
- TRAU GSM traffic (XX646)
over GSM Abis interface
With MAPS™ Client-Server application, MAPS™ supports a Command Line Interface (CLI) such as the Python, and TCL (Tool Command Language) scripting tools, to provide the capability of remote operation, automation, and multi-site connectivity. User can remotely perform all functions such as start testbed setup, load scripts and profiles, apply user events such as send digits/file/tones, detect digits/file/tones, dial, originate call, terminate call, start and stop traffic and so on.
For more details, visit www.gl.com/maps.html webpage.
- MAPS™ supports transmission and detection of various traffic types over Analog 2–wire, TDM and IP - Digits, Tones, & Voice
- Fax simulation over T1 E1 digital lines, and over PSTN FXO/FXS lines
- Create, monitor, and terminate TRAU GSM traffic sessions
- Supports generation and verification of data traffic such as SMS, Email, FTP, Web (HTTP), Video, and more
- Automate the IVR testing process (call establishment and traffic generation / detection) process through scripts
- Generates and verifies user mobile data traffic over GTPv1 and GTPv2 UMTS and LTE
- Emulation of Packet and mobile Gateway traffic over GTP-to-GTP and GTP-to-IP
- Simulation of Mobile traffic over GPRS Gb interface
- Command Line Interface for remote access and automation
Traffic Simulation across various Networks
Analog and TDM Traffic Simulation
MAPS™ supports transmission, detection and capture of various TDM and Analog traffic such as, digits, voice files, single tones, and dual tones over established calls. The volume of calls can vary from one to hundreds of calls depending on the T1 E1 or Analog platform of choice.
With the purchase of additional license (xx600, xx610, xx620) to generate/capture traffic over T1/E1, MAPS™ TDM traffic commands are available. These features are applicable for MAPS™ ISDN, MAPS™ SS7, MAPS™ GSM A, MAPS™ CAS applications only.
MAPS™ CAS includes FXO FXS, R1, MFC-R2, and other variations for both analog 2wire and T1 E1 – for hundreds of channels. Fax traffic over 2wire analog and T1 E1 is supported for all variations of fax, such as page size, resolution, min & max data rate, and codec type – including high speed fax such as V.34.
For GSM, TRAU (Transcoder Rate Adapter Unit) traffic simulation is included with options to create, monitor, and terminate TRAU GSM traffic sessions supporting transmit/receive DTMF digits, file, and tones over established sessions. TRAU traffic simulation (additional license-xx646) is applicable for MAPS™ GSM Abis application only.
TDM Traffic Events
RTP Traffic Simulation
MAPS™ supports transmission and detection of various RTP traffic such as, digits, voice file, single tone, and dual tones over established calls. With the purchase of RTP Core license (PKS102), MAPS™ RTP traffic commands are available. These features are applicable for MAPS™ UMTS IuCS & IuH, MAPS™ GSM A over IP, MAPS™ SIP, MAPS™ SIP I, MAPS™ MEGACO, MAPS™ MGCP applications only.
Traffic actions include -
- Loopback real-time voice traffic (all received traffic is re-transmitted as sent traffic).
- "Play to Speaker" streams voice of a selected call to a speaker
- "Talk using Microphone" allows the user to generate real-time traffic
- Transmit pre-recorded voice files on the specified RTP sessions.
- Supports almost all industry standard codec types - G711 (mu-Law and A-Law), GSM (Full Rate), G.729a and more. Click here for comprehensive information on supported codecs.
- Generation and Detection of RTP Event such as Answering tone, Calling tone, Special Dial tone and other Call Progress tones.
- Generation of user-configurable impairments over established RTP call such as
- Latency - Fixed, Uniform, and Normal Distributed
- Packet Loss - periodic, random, and burst
- Packet Effects - Out-of-order and Duplicate packets
RTP Traffic Events
Mobile Traffic Simulation
Mobile traffic Simulation module within MAPS™ supports user-plane traffic simulation in LTE, UMTS, and GPRS networks. Mobile Traffic Simulation is supported in MAPS™ LTE S1, MAPS™ LTE eGTP, MAPS™ UMTS Gn Gp, MAPS™ IuPS and MAPS™ GPRS Gb applications only.
It includes following modules -
Packet Traffic Simulation - GTP (ETH100) - This module is used to generate IP traffic and verify the same at the other end over GTP (GPRS Tunneling Protocol). The IP traffic can be generated as Sequence Number, Hex string, BER patterns, or playback captured Ethernet traffic (*.HDL) files. Additionally, this module requires MAPS™ GPRS SGSN & GGSN, MAPS™ GnGp, MAPS™ SGSN Gb, MAPS™ MAP IP.
- Mobile Traffic Core - GTP (ETH101) - module supports user-plane packet transmission and reception services between any two nodes (GTP-U protocol entity) in UMTS (SGSN, GGSN, RNC), and LTE (SGW, PDNGW) networks.
This module allows simulation of multiple users accessing a Web server simultaneously.
Currently, supports HTTP traffic simulation with the base requirements such as port number, server IP address, and pre-canned HTTP traffic file.
Each GTP traffic is identified by a Tunnel ID, and the multiple HTTP connections are differentiated by Connection ID. The Mobile Traffic Core-GTP (ETH101) module can also support generation and verification of data traffic such as Email, FTP, Video, and more.
Additionally, this module requires MAPS™ GPRS SGSN & GGSN, MAPS™ GnGp, MAPS™ SGSN Gb, MAPS™ MAP IP applications.
- Mobile Traffic Core - Gateway (ETH102) - This module allows simulation of Gateway and transfer user plane data from RNC to GGSN. It handles GTP tunnels on both direction of SGSN. It can also act as GGSN for user-plane traffic by encapsulating IP traffic over GTP. Additionally, this module requires MAPS™ GPRS SGSN & GGSN, MAPS™ GnGp, MAPS™ SGSN Gb, MAPS™ MAP IP.
- Mobile Traffic Simulation - GPRS Gb (ETH103) - This module allows simulation of Mobile traffic over Gb interface between BSC and SGSN. Currently, this module transmits the pre-canned HTTP file (*.txt) between BSC and SGSN nodes. It multiplexes both signaling and traffic over Gb interface. Additionally, this module requires ETH101 - Mobile Traffic Core - GTP module, MAPS™ GPRS Gb and MAPS™ SGSN Gb.
???: any IP-based protocol used to carry packet radio service
HTTP: Hypertext Transfer Protocol
GTP: GPRS Tunneling Protocol
Mobile Traffic Core – GTP Protocol Stack
Mobile Traffic Core – Gb (ETH103) Protocol Stack
Mobile Traffic Simulation
Short Message Service (SMS) Test Solutions
MAPS™ supports sending and receiving SMS (Short Message Service) using signaling channel simultaneously with other voice and data services over a GSM or MAP interfaces. MAPS™ has the ability to push / pull Short Messages over the network as if sent by thousands of mobile phones (Short Message Mobile Originated (SMS-MO)). MAPS™ can also transmit a Short Message to a mobile phone (Short Message Mobile Terminated (SMS-MT)). The short message service testing is available on the GSM, UMTS, and MAP interfaces. This feature is supported in MAPS™ GSM A over IP, MAPS™ MAP, and MAPS™ MAP over IP applications.
GSM SMS-MO/SMS-MT Procedure Events
Fax Simulator (with additional licenses - XXFT0) is used with GL Protocol Emulation tools such as MAPS™ CAS, MAPS™ ISDN, and MAPS™ SS7 Emulators to simulate complete real-time Fax calls. Single and bulk (100's) call Fax Simulator is capable of transmitting and receiving fax over many T1/E1 timeslots or through two-wire FXO and FXS lines. Typical applications of our Fax Emulation software are load testing of fax servers, qualification testing of T.38 Gateways, testing of ATAs (Analog Terminal Adapters), testing of fax machines, and many more.
MAPS™ CAS supporting FAX Transmission and Reception
Traffic Simulation - CLI
In addition to the GUI, MAPS™ can also be operated through a Command Line Interface (CLI). All the GUI based functionalities of the application can be controlled remotely.
Traffic simulation on a local network as well as from a remote location is possible with the client interface.
Traffic Simulation between IP to TDM
Create Traffic Events using Script Editor
Scripting provides the ability to create ready-scripts for TDM and RTP traffic simulation. Various traffic events are applied during the course of a call.
- Send/Detect Tones, Digits, Silence, Verify Speech
- Send/Receive Files, Fax
- Send/Detect different tone types - dial tone, special dial tone, stutter dial tone, special information tone, call waiting, call in progress tone, reorder tone, busy tone, congestion tone, confirmation tone, howler tone, and ring-back tone, Set Region
User-defined Traffic Options - Script Editor
Please Note: The XX in the Item No. refers to the hardware platform, listed at the bottom of the Buyer's Guide, which
the software will be running on. Therefore, XX can either be ETA or EEA (Octal/Quad Boards), PTA or PEA (tProbe Units),
UTA or UEA (USB Units), HUT or HUE (Universal Cards), and HDT or HDE (HD cards) depending upon the hardware.
Specifications are subject to change without notice.