Traffic Simulation across IP, Analog, TDM, and Wireless Networks
As traffic intensity increases, network elements (including switches and transmission) can impart various impairments such as errors, excessive delay, congestion, blocking, loss, and degraded quality. Simulating traffic can be valuable to characterize the impairment as a function of traffic intensity and traffic types (e.g. Voice, Fax, Data, & Video).
Message Automation and Protocol Simulation (MAPS™) is a multi-protocol, multi-technology platform performs signaling and traffic generation for a vast array of communication protocols covering IP, Analog, TDM, and Wireless networks. MAPS™ can be used to test signaling over legacy networks (which use conventional signaling such as CAS, SS7, ISDN, PPP,…), newer generation IP networks (such as SIP, MGCP, MEGACO, SIGTRAN, Diameter…), and also the Wireless networks including GSM, UMTS, and LTE.
The product supports -
- RTP traffic simulation for IMS/IP Network (PKS102, PKS106, PKS108, PKS200)
over SIP, SIP I, MGCP, MEGACO, Diameter, over IP interfaces
- RTP traffic simulation for Wireless Network (PKS102, PKS108, PKS200)
over UMTS IuCS & IuH, GSM over IP interfaces
- TDM traffic simulation (xx610, xx620, xxFT0)
over ISDN, SS7, GSM A, CAS interfaces
- TRAU GSM traffic (XX646)
over GSM Abis interface
With MAPS™ Client-Server application, MAPS™ supports a Command Line Interface (CLI) such as the Python, and TCL (Tool Command Language) scripting tools, to provide the capability of remote operation, automation, and multi-site connectivity. User can remotely perform all functions such as start testbed setup, load scripts and profiles, apply user events such as send digits/file/tones, detect digits/file/tones, dial, originate call, terminate call, start and stop traffic and so on.
For more details, visit Signaling and Traffic Simulator webpage.
- MAPS™ supports transmission and detection of various traffic types over Analog 2–wire, TDM and IP Fax simulationover T1 E1 digital lines, PSTN FXO/FXS lines, and IP networks
- Create, monitor, and terminate TRAU GSM traffic sessions
- Supports generation and verification of data traffic such as SMS, Email, FTP, Web (HTTP)
- Supports simulation of RTP Traffic such as Voice, Video (H.263 & H.264), Digits, Tones, Fax, IVR and impairments
- Automate the IVR testing process (call establishment and traffic generation / detection) process through scripts
- Generates and verifies user mobile data, gateway, and packet traffic over (GTPv1 and GTPv2) GPRS, UMTS and LTE
- Command Line Interface for remote access and automation
- All Voice Codecs supported including - G.711, G.711 App II with VAD, G.729, G.726, G.726 with VAD, GSM, AMR NB and WB, EVRC, SMV, iLBC, SPEEX NB and WB, G722, G722.1, and Video codecs such as H.263, and H.264. Visit Voice Codecs webpage for more comprehensive information.
Traffic Simulation across various Networks
Analog and TDM Traffic Simulation
MAPS™ supports transmission, detection and capture of various TDM and Analog traffic such as, digits, voice files, single tones, dual tones, Dynamic VF, FAX, and IVR over established calls. The volume of calls can vary from one to hundreds of calls depending on the T1 E1 or Analog platform of choice.
With the purchase of additional license (xx610, xx620) to generate/capture traffic over T1/E1, MAPS™ TDM traffic commands are available. These features are applicable for MAPS™ ISDN, MAPS™ SS7, MAPS™ GSM A, MAPS™ CAS, and MAPS™ FXO FXS applications only.
MAPS™ CAS includes FXO FXS, R1, MFC-R2, and other variations for both analog 2wire and T1 E1 – for hundreds of channels. Fax traffic over 2wire analog and T1 E1 is supported for all variations of fax, such as page size, resolution, min & max data rate, and codec type – including high speed fax such as V.34.
For GSM, TRAU (Transcoder Rate Adapter Unit) traffic simulation is included with options to create, monitor, and terminate TRAU GSM traffic sessions supporting transmit/receive DTMF digits, file, tones, Dynamic VF, FAX, and IVR over established sessions. TRAU traffic simulation (additional license-xx646) is applicable for MAPS™ GSM Abis application only.
TDM Traffic Events
RTP Traffic Simulation
MAPS™ supports transmission and detection of various RTP traffic such as, digits, voice file, single tone, dual tones, FAX, Dynamic VF, IVR, Voice, and Video sessions over established calls. With the purchase of RTP Core license (PKS102), MAPS™ RTP traffic commands are available. These features are applicable for MAPS™ UMTS IuCS & IuH, MAPS™ GSM A over IP, MAPS™ GSM Abis over IP, MAPS™ SIP, MAPS™ SIP I, MAPS™ MEGACO, MAPS™ MGCP applications only. Currently, RTP Video simulation is supported in MAPS™ SIP only.
For more information, refer to RTP Traffic Generator webpage.
Traffic actions include -
- Create, manage RTP sessions and generate and receive RTP traffic over the sessions with complete automation capability
- Transmit and receive pre-recorded video traces with video codecs like H.264, H.263 etc. **
- Transmit and receive pre-recorded voice files, and live voice
- RTP based Voice Quality (MOS and R-Factor) measurement for the received streams
- Customize codec options (payload type, ptime) over Tx/Rx sessions. All Voice Codecs are supported (Visit Voice Codecs webpage for more comprehensive information).
- Talk using Microphone - allows the user to generate live voice
- "Play to Speaker" streams voice to a speaker
- Transmit and receive FAX files in T.38 pass-through mode **
- Loopback real-time voice traffic (all received traffic is retransmitted as sent traffic)
- Generation and Detection of RTP Events per RFC-2833 & RFC-4733 such as Answering Tone, Calling Tone, Special Dial Tone and other Call Progress Tones
- Generation of user-configurable impairments over established RTP calls such as
- Latency - Fixed, Uniform, and Normal Distributed
- Packet Loss - periodic, random, and burst
- Packet Effects - Out-of-order and Duplicate packets
- Supports RTP traffic implementation over Iu-UP (Iu User Plane Interface) layer of the UMTS IuCs Network **
- Supports RTP traffic as per ED-137B of EUROCAE standards used for voice communication in Air Traffic Control networks *
- Provides some vital statistics like total packets received and transmitted, Jitter, delay, lost packets, duplicate packets and out of order packets on each session
- Detailed statistical information of RTP and RTCP packets
- Jitter Buffer implementation for the received traffic to give near real time affect
** Some of these features requires additional licenses – contact GL for more information
RTP Traffic Events
Mobile Traffic Simulation
Mobile traffic Simulation module within MAPS™ supports user-plane traffic simulation in LTE, UMTS, and GPRS networks. Mobile Traffic Simulation is supported in MAPS™ LTE S1, MAPS™ LTE eGTP, MAPS™ UMTS Gn Gp, MAPS™ IuPS, MAPS™ GSM Abis IP, MAPS™ GSM A IP, and MAPS™ GPRS Gb applications only.
It includes following modules -
- Packet Traffic Simulation - GTP (ETH100) - This module is used to generate IP traffic and verify the same at the other end over GTP (GPRS Tunneling Protocol). The IP traffic can be generated as Sequence Number, Hex string, BER patterns, or playback captured Ethernet traffic (*.HDL) files. This module is supported in MAPS™ GnGp, MAPS™ LTE S1,MAPS™ LTE eGTP-c, and MAPS™ IuPS.
- Mobile Traffic Core - GTP (ETH101) - module supports user-plane packet transmission and reception services between any two nodes (GTP-U protocol entity) in UMTS (SGSN, GGSN, RNC), and LTE (SGW, PDNGW) networks.
It allows simultaneous simulation of multiple sessions per user. Currently, supports HTTP traffic simulation with the base requirements such as port number, server IP address, and pre-canned HTTP traffic file. Each GTP traffic is identified by a Tunnel ID, and the multiple HTTP connections are differentiated by Connection ID. The Mobile Traffic Core-GTP (ETH101) module can also support generation and verification of data traffic such as Email, FTP, HTTP, and more. This module is supported in MAPS™ GnGp, MAPS™ LTE S1, MAPS™ LTE eGTP-c, and MAPS™ IuPS.
- Mobile Traffic Core - Gateway (ETH102) - This module allows simulation of Gateway and transfer user plane data from RNC to GGSN. It handles GTP tunnels on both direction of SGSN. It can also act as GGSN for user-plane traffic by encapsulating IP traffic over GTP. This module is supported in MAPS™ GnGp, MAPS™ LTE S1, MAPS™ LTE eGTP-c.
- Mobile Traffic Simulation - GPRS Gb (ETH103) - This module allows simulation of Mobile traffic over Gb interface between BSC and SGSN. Currently, this module transmits the pre-canned HTTP file (*.txt) between BSC and SGSN nodes. It multiplexes both signaling and traffic over Gb interface. This module is supported in MAPS™ GPRS Gb.
Mobile Traffic Core – GTP Protocol Stack
Mobile Traffic Simulation
Short Message Service (SMS) Test Solutions
MAPS™ supports sending and receiving SMS (Short Message Service) using signaling channel simultaneously with other voice and data services over a GSM or MAP interfaces. MAPS™ has the ability to push / pull Short Messages over the network as if sent by thousands of mobile phones (Short Message Mobile Originated (SMS-MO)). MAPS™ can also transmit a Short Message to a mobile phone (Short Message Mobile Terminated (SMS-MT)). The short message service testing is available on the GSM, UMTS, and MAP interfaces. GL’s 2G, & 3G Wireless Lab setup supports end-to-end SMS calls simulation in Circuit Switch (CS) network.
This feature is supported in MAPS™ GSM A over IP, MAPS™ MAP, MAPS™ IuCS, and MAPS™ IuH applications.
GSM SMS-MO/SMS-MT Procedure Events
Typical applications of our Fax Emulation software are load testing of fax servers, qualification testing of T.38 Gateways, testing of ATAs (Analog Terminal Adapters), testing of fax machines, and many more.
Fax Simulator over TDM and PSTN networks is capable of transmitting and receiving fax over many T1/E1 timeslots or through two-wire FXO and FXS lines. This applications works with MAPS™ TDM products such as MAPS™ CAS, MAPS™ ISDN, MAPS™ FXO FXS, and MAPS™ SS7 Emulators to simulate complete real-time single and bulk (100's) fax calls.
GL’s RTP Fax Simulator simulates multiple fax calls over IP in T.38 pass through mode (using G.711 PCMU and PCMA). It can transmit pre-recorded Tiff image to DUT (Real-time Fax machine), receive Pass-Through fax from DUT, and record complete fax call messages as log file along with a Tiff image. Almost all MAPS™ IP products support fax simulation – MAPS™ SIP, MAPS™ SIP-I, MAPS™ MEGACO, MAPS™ BICC, MAPS™ GSM, and MAPS™ UMTS.
MAPS™ CAS supporting FAX Transmission and Reception
Traffic Simulation - CLI
In addition to the GUI, MAPS™ can also be operated through a Command Line Interface (CLI). All the GUI based functionalities of the application can be controlled remotely.
Traffic simulation on a local network as well as from a remote location is possible with the client interface.
Traffic Simulation between IP to TDM
Please Note: The XX in the Item No. refers to the hardware platform, listed at the bottom of the Buyer's Guide, which
the software will be running on. Therefore, XX can either be ETA or EEA (Octal/Quad Boards), PTA or PEA (tProbe Units),
UTA or UEA (USB Units), HUT or HUE (Universal Cards), and HDT or HDE (HD cards) depending upon the hardware.
Specifications are subject to change without notice.