Testing Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
IVR (Interactive Voice Response) Systems depend on DTMF digits, or tones, as inputs from the users and in turn presents a menu for banking, hospitality, voice mail, and other automated applications. Depending on the application, the branching of the menu can get complicated, and this requires accurate testing prior to deployment.
When calling an IVR system from any interface, the user is asked to send DTMF digits in response to prompts. The IVR system may have several sequences and may require either single DTMF digit responses or several DTMF digit responses (i.e. the credit card number). Once through the IVR system the user will either be connected to real voice or the user will simply be disconnected.
Using GL products and scripting associated with these products it is possible to automate the IVR process. GL's IVR test platforms can generate and detect user-defined digits, tones, and play/record voice files, using a simple GUI setup or automate the whole process through scripts.
Automatic IVR testing is possible via scripting and is possible with any GL supported emulation product. The scripting provides the means to detect voice and send DTMF digits in response to voice prompts. Once connected to the call the GL product can perform Quality of Service (PESQ) or path confirmation tests.
VQuad™ with Dual Universal Telephone Adapter HD (Dual UTA HD) supports multiple interfaces and processes through the IVR using scripts. IVR testing is supported over a variety of interfaces including 2-wire FXO, 4-wire Analog, T1/E1 (PRI and CAS), Bluetooth Mobile, VoIP SIP, Phone Handset, and Radio PTT. All interfaces are supported, but some allow the place call sequence (FXO, Bluetooth, SIP, T1/E1) whereas other interfaces may assume the call is connected prior to going through the IVR process.
VQuad™ Probe HD is an all-in-one self-contained VQuad™ with Dual UTA HD test instrument. This comprehensive hardware device incorporates all the features of the current VQuad™ with Dual UTA HD unit such as portability and remote accessibility along with the necessary PC hardware with Win7 OS.
Other GL's emulation products supporting IVR testing includes PacketGen™, RTP ToolBox™, T1/E1, MAPS™, and DCOSS.
- PacketGen™ or RTP Toolbox™ (Over Packet Networks)
PacketGen™ and RTP ToolBox™ with powerful traffic action scripting capability for RTP traffic generation can simulate IVR kind of systems over packet networks.
- T1 E1 Analyzer (Over T1 E1, Analog, SS7, ISDN Networks)
Over T1/E1 and analog networks, the GL's T1/E1 Analyzer with hardware establishes voice channels supporting TDM traffic (voice, digits, and tones) simulating IVR systems.
- MAPS™ (Over T1 E1, Analog, Wireless, Packet Networks)
MAPS™ test equipments include traffic generators and detectors to perform IVR testing of all types of traffic over TDM, TRAU, Mobile (HTTP)and Packet networks.
- DCOSS (Over T1 E1, Analog, SS7, ISDN Networks)
DCOSS can automatically answer a call, play a series of user-defined prompts, and employ number recognition in order to gather information, identify errors and fully test an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system.
- Simulate IVR Users and IVR System
- Single-box portable solution and Rackmount PC solution for higher density
- Complete automation with enhanced scripting and remote operation including traffic generation and call control scripting
- Automate the IVR testing process - call establishment and traffic generation detection process through scripts
- Voice menu testing (using bulk call scripting)
- Voice recognition testing (using bulk call scripting)
- Monitoring IVR System for voice and data quality
- Perform Quality of Service (PESQ) or path confirmation tests
- Within a proper voice call, additional analysis is available such as Round Trip Delay (RTD) and Voice Quality Testing (VQT)
- Support for Command Line Interface (CLI) to access VQuad™ remotely
Scenario 1: IVR Testing using VQuad™
Using the GL products and the scripting associated with these products we can automate the IVR process. For instance, GL products can perform:
IVR User Simulation with VQuad™
IVR System Simulation with VQuad™
- placing a call
- waiting for certain time duration after call connection
- send DTMF 1, pause 4s,
- send DTMF 2, pause 4s,
- send DTMF 3, wait 10s and so on
- waiting for certain time duration to receive tones from the IVR system
- detects the incoming digit traffic and performs the operations based on the digits detected
- for example, if digit 1 is detected, VQuad™ sends tones and if digit 2 is detected, VQuad™ sends voice file.
IVR simulation script for FXO
Once the call is established with the other end, the script starts sending the digits, expecting a response from the user end.
At the IVR systems end, the script detects the digit traffic and performs the operations based on the digits detected. In the script, if digit 1 is detected, VQuad™ sends tones and if digit 2 is detected, VQuad™ sends file.
Download IVR simulation script (.scp).
IVR Testing Script - FXO
Scenario 2: IVR Monitoring over TDM Network and IP Network
(using T1 E1 Analyzer, and PacketScan™ respectively)
GL's Call Capture and Analysis (CCA, PacketScan™, PPP Analyzer) solution is used to capture and monitor live traffic over TDM, and Packet networks. The output of this system centers around each 'call' and for each call it reports comprehensive information occurring on T1 and E1 lines and IP networks, including,
- complete signaling information for each direction for CAS, ISDN, MFC-R2, SS7, SIP, MLPPP and more
- detail voice band event information occurring during the call including dual tones (DTMF, MF, MFC-R2), fax tones, modem signals, and more
- voice capture for both directions
- all alarms and errors occurring during the call including BPV, Frame Errors, CRC errors, LOS, and more
- detailed analysis of the voice band call including noise level, speech level, speech activity factor, echo measurements, and more
- categorization of the call as voice, fax, modem, or data
* Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Back to Complete Voice Quality Testing Solutions Index Page