Internet Protocol Multimedia Subsystem Network Emulation Test Suite
Welcome to the latest issue of GL's Newsletter providing information and insight into our IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) Network Emulation tool referred to as MAPS™ Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) IMS Test Suite.
Internet Protocol (IP) Multimedia Subsystem, popularly known as "IMS", is built on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) as the base to further support packaging of voice, video, data, fixed, and mobile services on a single platform to end users. It provides a unique convergence platform for different types of networks - whether it is mobile, satellite, broadband, cable, and fixed networks, with a goal of building an efficient interoperating network.
Message Automation and Protocol Simulation (MAPS™) is a multi-protocol and multi-interface emulation software with a common framework to support emulation of variety of signaling protocols and traffic generation - which includes voice, tones, digits, fax, data, and video. It covers legacy PSTN, next generation VoIP, wireless equipment, interfaces, and networks. Interfaces can be Analog, TDM, IP/Ethernet or Wireless.
GL's MAPS™ SIP IMS test suite provides an advanced full-fledged network environment that enables user to test their applications, devices, and services prior to deployment on a real-time network. It can be used to emulate all or specific elements within IMS network infrastructure using simple ready-to-use Testbed setups. The network architecture shown above outlines the IMS Core Network elements which can be emulated using GL's MAPS™ SIP IMS test suite.
It can emulate multiple UEs and IMS core elements such as Proxy - Call Session Control Function (P-CSCF), Interrogating - Call Session Control Function (I-CSCF), Serving - Call Session Control Function (S-CSCF), Policy and Charging Rules Function (PCRF), Media Gateway Control Function (MGCF) and IP Short Message Gateway (IP-SM-GW) which provides the IMS core network.
With the help of mobile phones, and other emulated wireless networks, the VoLTE or VoNR Lab setup can be operated in real-time for making Voice calls over Long Term Evolution (LTE) or 5G New Radio, Short Message Service (SMS) calls and for interworking with PSTN and VoIP networks.
It includes ready-to-use scripts, as per IETF specification. The test scripts include general messaging and call flow scenarios for multimedia call session setup and control over IP networks. Reports are logged for pass/fail test scenarios. Test cases verify conformance of actions such as registration, call control, proxies, and other servers.
GL also provides an All-IP Packet Analyzer - PacketScan™ for real-time capture, decode, and monitoring of the SIP signaling and RTP media on live IMS networks.
- IMS Registration via SIP interface (with AKA Authentication, with Digest authentication, with IP Security) over TCP/UDP
- Support for IPsec IMS-AKA (IP Multimedia Services Authentication and Key Agreement)
- IMS Registration from Visited Network
- Mobile induced deregistration - SIP
- Voice call between Roaming or Non-Roaming users within the same network or across the network
- Call from IMS to PSTN
- SMS Call from IMS (4G) to UMTS (2G/3G)
- Registration and IMS call with Signaling Compression
- Emulate multiple User Equipment (UEs)
- Supports both signaling and traffic emulation (RTP and GTP from emulated UEs) between any two IMS nodes
- Supports emulation of Core network, Access network, Roaming architecture, Interworking with other networks
- Complete IMS lab for end-to-end test solution
- Test environment allows user to test each IMS network elements independently using single interface emulation or multi-interface emulation
- Any of the network element within the lab environment can be replaced by Device Under Test to verify its functionality
- Integrate IMS core network easily with 5G, 4G, 3G, 2G or any PSTN networks to test any call scenario using Remote MAPS™
- Build customized call scenarios as MAPS™ provides complete script based solution
- Evaluate any applications or services using IMS core network
- Remote control/monitor all the interwork interfaces and elements using Remote MAPS™ application