SONET and SDH Testing Solutions
May 2020 00:41:47
Presented by : Dr. Vikram Kulkarni, Alan Revzin, Sunil Mahadevashetty
SONET and SDH are optical transmission networks designed for high speed voice, video and data transfer and are widely used in the Internet backbone. These networks can carry conventional channelized traffic (multiple TDM T1, E1, T3 and E3 pipes) or unchannelized (Packet over SONET, Asynchronous Transfer Mode) data streams.
Network engineers must continuously test these networks for performance such as voice quality. Channelized networks are difficult to test due to the multiplexed nature of the individual DS0s, T1 and E1s, etc.
GL Communications offers SonetExpert™, a comprehensive SONET/SDH testing platform that can monitor and emulate channelized OC-3/STM-1 or OC-12/STM-4 links. This versatile solution can tap into fiber optic networks and monitor the entire data stream or demultiplex into individual T1 and E1s. Furthermore, SonetExpert™ can generate traffic such as voice calls and file transfers.
Network engineers and technicians can use SonetExpert™ for many applications including:
- Monitor T1s, E1s, and DS0s directly without requiring physical access
- Load test a SONET or SDH network by generating thousands of simultaneous data streams or voice calls
- Real time alarm detection and management: Send SNMP traps at the individual T1 E1 level for network management
- Capture and analyze voice calls for trouble shooting call quality or surveillance
- Test any combination of DS0/64/56/16/8 Kbps fractional T1/E1, and N x T1/E1 interface definitions (a total of 252 E1s or 336 T1s – in each port)