GL Releases 5G Core Network Emulator Suite
26th, Jul 2019
Welcome to July 2019 issue of GL's Newsletter providing information and insight into our newly released 5G Core Network Emulator Suite. 5G Core Network Emulator Suite comprises of MAPS™ application, which is a Multi-protocol, Multi-interface simulation test tool. 5G Core Emulator Suite currently supports N1 N2 interface between gNB (Next Generation NodeB), and AMF (Access and Mobility Management Function) simulation per 3GPP Release 15 standards.
3GPP is defining both a new 5G core network, referred to as 5GC, as well as a new radio access technology called 5G “New Radio” (NR).
Significant feature of 5G is its capability to support large number of services and applications, massive connections, low latency, and a new channel coding scheme at extremely high data rates. However, deploying high-quality voice, video, and data services over 5G has posed significant challenges for service providers. Rigorous testing is required for backward-compatibility, inter-operability, and high-quality.
GL’s comprehensive Signaling and Traffic Emulation Suites for 5G/4G Wireless Networks, Legacy TDM Networks, and IP Networks, use a common framework / architecture referred commonly to as MAPS™. The architecture provides a “programmable, scriptable” framework that is independent of any protocol or network, makes it easy to perform cross-domain testing and transition tests to new technology such as 5G. The 5G core network and all its underlying entities can be accurately tested for functionalities and performance.
GL's Message Automation and Protocol Simulation (MAPS™) supports testing 5G - N1, N2 interfaces which can simulate gNB (gNodeB), and AMF (Access and Mobility Management Function) according to 3GPP Release 15 standards.
The new application gives the users the unlimited ability to edit NGAP/NAS messages and call scenarios (message sequences). "Message Sequences" are generated through scripts. "Messages" are created using message templates.
The product supports Mobile traffic core – GTP (ETH101) simulation for user-plane packet transmission and reception services between any two nodes in 5G network. Mobile Traffic Core – Gateway (ETH102) module allows simulation of Gateway Traffic to test media gateway telephony interfaces over IP. These modules also support generation and verification of data traffic such as FTP, Web (HTTP), Video, and more.
The product also supports MAPS™ Server with PacketLoad appliance supports massive simulation of UEs (up to 500000) with high density (up to 4 Gbps or 40 Gbps) mobile data traffic simulation for UMTS, LTE, and 5G networks.
AMF Configuration Update
RAN Configuration Update
Initial Context Setup
UE Context Release
5GMM common procedures
primary authentication and key agreement procedure
security mode control
generic UE configuration update
- 5GMM Specific Procedures
5GMM connection management procedures
UE-requested PDU session establishment
UE-requested PDU session modification
UE-requested PDU session release
The implemented features are according to the following specifications -
Test Conformance of 5G elements to 3GPP standards
|System Architecture for the 5G||3GPP TS 23.501 V2.0.1 (2017-12)|
|NG Application Protocol (NGAP)||3GPP TS 38.413 V0.7.0 (2018-03)|
|Non-Access-Stratum (NAS)||3GPP TS 24.501 V1.0.0 (2018-3)|
MAPS™ 5GC Emulator testing gNB (DUT)
MAPS™ gNB Emulator testing 5G Core Network (DUT)
MAPS™ UE with gNB Server testing high density 5G core Network
The following depicts N1 N2 interface procedure simulation using MAPS™ Emulator. In 5G N1 N2 interface, MAPS™ can be configured to act as either gNB or AMF nodes testing the Peer Function in the network.
Supported Procedures in N1 and N2 interfaces include NG Reset, NG Setup, Initial Context Setup, UE Context Release, Registration, De-registration, Primary authentication and key agreement procedure, Security mode control, Identification.
- Setup a virtual real-time scenario simulating 5G interoperability with 4G-LTE network elements
- Supports Control plane signaling and User plane traffic
- Supports emulation of several 5G interfaces (N1, N2)
- Simulates 5G Core Network Functions - 5G Access Network (gNB), Access and Mobility Management Function (AMF),
- Supports generation and verification of traffic over 5G, including VoLTE (Voice), FTP, Web (HTTP), Video, and more with additional licenses - Mobile traffic core – GTP (ETH101) and Mobile Traffic Core – Gateway (ETH102), and PacketLoad
- Supports 5G-LTE based technologies such as VoLTE
- Generate ten thousand of UE Signaling (Load Testing)
- Generate and process NGAP/NAS (valid and invalid) messages
- Fully automated with Scripting and CLI (Command Line Interface) with APIs support
- Insertion of impairments to create invalid messages
- Supports customization of call flow and message templates using Script and Message Editor.
- Ready-to-use scripts for quick testing
- Supports scripted call generation and automated call reception.
- Provides Call Statistics and Events Status
- Automation, Remote access, and Schedulers to run tests 24/7
For comprehensive information on the application, user can refer to the 5G Wireless Network Simulation using MAPS™ web page.
|MAPS™ 5G N1N2 Interface Emulator - Brochure|
|MAPS™ IMS Test Suite - Brochure|
|4G-LTE Wireless LAB Simulation - Brochure|
|MAPS™ LTE S1 Interface - Brochure|
|MAPS™ LTE-eGTP Interface- Brochure|
|GL Product Lists|
Please review the above and give us a call if you are interested in the above Product/Software or for any other applications listed in our website. We would be happy to discuss your testing needs and we look forward to hearing from you.
Phone: 301-670-4784 x114