Press Releases: GL Communications Introduces UMTS Protocol Analyzer
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - July 25th, 2005 - GL Communications Inc, a leading provider of test and measurement products for the telecom industry, today announced the release of a new protocol analyzer,
UMTS Protocol Analyzer, designed to capture and analyze various UMTS protocols in a complex 3G network.
UMTS is the third generation (3G) in mobile network evolution and successor to the current 2G GSM network. It offers significantly higher speed for wireless access through wideband code division multiple access (W-CDMA).
The UMTS architecture, consists of many interfaces and protocols, some similar to GSM / GPRS systems and others quite new such as ATM for transport. A few of these interfaces are depicted in the diagram below.
GL's UMTS Protocol Analyzer allows the end user to monitor, capture, decode and collect essential information across various interfaces i.e. IuB, IuR, IuCS and IuPS. Simultaneous handling of ATM based AAL2 and AAL5
virtual channels with reassembly, assists in fault diagnosis and troubleshooting UMTS network elements. The supported protocols include various control plane protocols (NBAP, RANAP, and more), user plane protocols
(Iu-UP, Iub-FP and more), and NAS protocols (CC/MM/SM/SMS/GMM) along with the UTRAN specific protocols.
Some of the main features of UMTS Analyzer are listed below:
- Compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista Operating Systems with user friendly GUIs.
- Works with GL's field proven Ultra E1 or T1 internal cards or Laptop E1 or T1 external units. Other interfaces also available soon.
- Analysis in real-time as well as offline.
- Supports ATM as the transport layer; captures, reassembles and decodes AAL-2 and AAL-5 frames from ATM cells according to user-defined VPI/VCI.
- Supports unscrambling of ATM cells using SDH X^43+1 Scrambling Algorithm.
- Supports CRC verification for AAL5 packet data.
- Provides call trace capability over IuCS and IuPS interfaces.
- Allows exporting detailed information to an ASCII file based on a comprehensive filter criterion.
- Allows exporting summary information to a comma-delimited file for subsequent import into a database or spreadsheet.
- Supports statistics display based on frame count, byte count, frames/sec, bytes/sec, and so on, for the entire capture data.
- Supports call records and message trace to be monitored remotely and centrally using NetSurveyor™.
Please refer to UMTS Protocol Analyzer page for further details.
About GL Communications Inc
Founded in 1986, GL Communications Inc. is a leading supplier of rigorous, PC and Laptop-based test, analysis, and simulation equipment to the telecommunications industry. The company offers a wide range of products
and services designed to aid telecommunications engineers working in research and development as well as those responsible for operations and ongoing quality assurance.
Back to Press Releases Index Page
Phone: 301-670-4784 ext. 114