Press Release: GL Announces the Release of
T1/E1 Traffic Classifier
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - August 17'th, 2006 - GL Communications Inc, today announced the release of their
new product "T1 E1 Traffic Classifier" - a tool for non-intrusive, real-time monitoring and classification of traffic on T1 E1 lines.
Speaking to the media, Vijay Kulkarni, CEO of the company, said, "When we take a look at the corporate network scenario today,
most of them are still connected to the WAN through a T1 or slower connection. In all probability, this is certain to cause a speed
mismatch between the internal network and the outside world, and may even lead to a potential data bottleneck. Therefore it is
important that a Telecom Manager understand and analyze 'what is being carried on their T1 E1 lines. Our Traffic Classifier is an
invaluable tool for traffic engineering".
GL's Traffic Classifier can analyze and classify various traffic types such as voice, fax, modem, data, tones (dial tone, ring-back
tone, busy tone etc) as well as identify dialing digits and other events happening on a T1/E1 network. It uses various algorithms for
identifying voice, modem modulation; fax modulation, tones and dual tones. The algorithms can also be country specific for dialing
tones, ring tones, etc.
Important Features and types of traffic classified by GL's Traffic Classifier
- Ability to non-intrusively monitor T1 or E1 line in real-time and offline modes
- Sixteen traffic types are classified, which include Tones (dial, ring, busy), Voice/Speech, Data and Fax Signaling, Dialing digits
(DTMF, MFR1, MFR2F, MFR2B)
- Data and fax modulations such as V.22, V.34, V.29, V.32, and V.27 are supported as traffic types
- Monitor single or multiple DS0s on multiple T1/E1 lines
- Monitor the T1/E1 line locally or remotely through TCP/IP connection
- Provides real-time display of the traffic types for each DS0 on the T1 / E1 trunk
- Result options allow the results to be either displayed on the screen, and/or save it to a file for extended periods
- Off-line (playback) feature can playback or fast forward previously recorded results
- Analyzes the T1/E1 traffic and graphically displays the results as a strip-chart
- Codecs supported - mu-law, A-law, and linear
- Traffic view for a particular span of time by using the File Scroller option
- Four algorithm options (Linear, quadratic, hybrid and hybrid filtered) to fine-tune the classification results
Types of Traffic Classified
- Unknown (Silence) - Channel handling a call but no signal is detected (eg: pause in speech)
- V22FOR (V.22 Forward) - Slow modem (forward channels) - typically Point of Sale terminals like VISA- 2400 bps
- V22REV (V.22 Reverse) - Slow modem (reverse channels)- 2400 bps
- V34V90UP (V.34) - Fast modem- 33600 bps
- V29 - Common fax- All speeds
- V32V17GT24 (V.32) - Fast fax and modem- >2400 bps
- V27AT48 (V.27) - Slow fax- 4800 bps
- V27AT24 (V.27) - Slowest fax - when V.29 has transmission problems, this mode is used as fall back.- 2400 bps
- Voice - Speech
- BINV90DOWN (Binary) - Native binary - ISDN Basic Rate Interface- 64000 bps
- FSK - Fax signaling - page break, end of page, end of transmission- 300 bps
- Digits - DTMF/MFR1/MFR2F/MFR2B Digits- 40 bps
- Dial Tone
- Ring-back Tone
- Busy Tone
- Idle - channel is on-line but not in use (digital silence)
Benefits of using GL's Traffic Classifier and its Applications
- Plan for the Future
Up-to-date information on the traffic trends is essential to accurately plan for growth. Only
GL's Traffic Classifier provides this essential information.
- Build a Business Case
What is the business case for changing your network capacity? How do you deal with
digital data? The Traffic Classifier can tell you all these.
- Outflank the Competition
The Traffic Classifier lets you anticipate customer needs. A satisfied customer is your
- Optimize your resources
Ensure that you maximize your current resources. The Traffic Classifier lets you
compare loads on a channel-to-channel or T1/E1-to-T1/E1 basis.
- Real-time Snapshot
Get a real-time snapshot of your T1/E1 network activity.
- Surveillance and Data Collection
You can monitor all the events on all the timeslots on a single or multiple
T1/E1 line. You can also do surveillance for extended periods by recording the classification results for days, weeks or months at a
- Equipment Manufactures and Equipment Vendors
Use GL's Traffic Classifier to do pre-deployment analysis of
a network so as to provide an optimized solution for your customers.
- Research and Development, Traffic Engineering and Network Condition Analysis
Traffic Classifier is an ideal tool
in an R & D environment for understanding, analyzing and traffic engineering of a T1/E1 network.
For complete information about GL's Traffic Classifier product, please visit: Traffic Classifier
About GL Communications Inc
Founded in 1986, GL Communications Inc. is a leading supplier of test, monitoring, and analysis equipment for TDM, Wireless, and
VoIP networks. Unlike conventional test equipment, GL's test platforms provide visualization, capture, storage, and convenient
features like portability, remotability, and scripting.
GL's TDM Analysis & Emulation line of products includes T1, E1, T3, OC-3, STM-1, analog four-wire, and analog two-wire interface
cards and solutions. Capabilities include voiceband traffic analysis and emulation across all traffic types (voice, digits, tones, fax,
modem), all protocols (HDLC, ISDN, SS7, CAS, GSM, GPRS, CDMA), and with capacities up to thousands of channels.
GL's VoIP products generate / analyze thousands of calls simultaneously with traffic types such as voice files, digits, tones, noise,
and fax using G.711, G.729, AMR, EVRC, and GSM codecs. Additional features include visual analysis, real-time listening, recording,
and voice quality assessment using ITU algorithms PAMS, PSQM, and PESQ.
GL's Wireless Products perform protocol analysis and voice quality assessment on GSM, CDMA, UMTS, and CDMA 2000 networks.
Connections can be made to any wireless phone with automated call control, GPS, mapping software, and real-time signal
GL's Echo Canceller testing solutions provide the broadest range of simulation and analysis, including compliance testing per
G.168 and G.160.
GL's Network Surveillance and Monitoring products include Probes for TDM, VoIP, ATM, and Wireless networks. An open standards
based approach provides a scalable, feature rich, real-time access to network intelligence. Centralized or distributed access, efficient
transport and database loading allow compatibility with 3rd party and standards based monitoring systems.
For more information about GL's complete line of products,
Back to Press Releases Index Page
Phone: 301-670-4784 ext. 114