Newsletter: GL Announces STM-1 Mux and
Traffic Capture / Analysis
(63 E1 over STM-1 Multiplexer)
Welcome to the September 2011 issue of GL's Newsletter providing information and insight into our latest
STM-1 Mux – a product that multiplexes demultiplexes 63 E1 signals to and from an optical STM-1 stream.
STM-1 Mux is a cost-effective (inexpensive), compact, only 1U high, SDH (Synchronous Digital Hierarchy)
multiplexer designed for applications in metro and access networks for efficient transport of traditional TDM and emerging data traffic. It provides 63 E1 TDM
interfaces in only 1U standard 19" platform. Applications include SDH TDM point-to-point network transmission and switching. It can be used in various network
topologies such as point-to-point, chain, ring, hub, and mesh networks.
As shown below, the STM-1 Mux
multiplexes 63 E1 signals into a STM-1 stream, with TU-12 cross-connect
capability. As a standard and compact SDH TDM device, the STM-1 multiplexer is best suited to applications where high-density E1 ports are required to interface
with an SDH network through STM-1 fiber optic connections. The device can be managed either through the embedded DCC channel within the STM-1 signal, or
through the local RJ-45 management interface on the equipment panel. When multiple 63 E1 over STM-1 multiplexers are stacked together, an RS-485 bus may
be used to link the units to form a single managed object. There are also alarm indication lights and a LCD screen on the panel for operation monitoring.
Shown above is a typical application with GL’s Dual, Quad, and Octal E1 Cards. Both directions of an STM-1 signal are received non-intrusively from a satellite
link and then demultiplexed by the STM-1 Mux. The E1s are then fed to GL’s E1 Cards for framing and access to
voice timeslots. All 126 simplex E1s (63 duplex E1s) can be analyzed, recorded, or heard (126 x 30 = 3780 timeslots). This architecture is not only very
compact, but also quite inexpensive especially with GL’s Octal E1 Cards.
- Cost effective access to all 63 E1’s in an STM–1 optical signal; two (2) are required to non-intrusively access both directions of the optical signal
- Standard 63 E1 Mux Configuration for point to point applications
- 1U height, 19" rack mount size, high integration, compact design
- Topologies supported include point to point, chain, ring, hub, and mesh
- ADM (Add Drop Mux) function is NOT included
- Optional 2 STM -1 optical interfaces for protection switching - one redundant, one online
- Optical interface supports ALS (Auto Laser Shutdown) function
- Inter-works with popular SDH products of various vendors – Motorola, Lucent, and Huawei
- Supports TUG3-TUG2-TU12 tributary channel numbering and time slot numbering
- Supports internal, STM-1 line clock, external and tributary clocking modes
- LCD display for system configuration and alarm
- Supports remote power-off alarming function
- Supports online upgrading
- Easy commissioning and maintenance, high reliability
For comprehensive information on the product, please visit STM-1 Mux webpage.
Back to Latest News Page