GL’s Enhanced Voice Quality Analyzer supports POLQA v3
21st, Feb 2020
Welcome to GL Communications' latest newsletter providing information and insight into our Voice Quality Analyzer, which is now enhanced to support Perceptual Objective Listening Quality Analysis (POLQA) version 3.0, an optional upgrade available in our latest VQT software version 7.6.
Voice Quality Analysis using POLQA
POLQA, the successor of Perceptual Evaluation of Speech Quality (PESQ) (ITU-T P.862) analysis, is the next generation voice quality testing standard for fixed, mobile and IP-based networks. Based on ITU-T P.863 standard, POLQA supports the HD-quality speech coding and network transport technology, with higher accuracy for 3G, 4G/LTE and VoIP networks. Upgrading to the 3rd edition of ITU-T P.863, POLQA extends its scope and applicability towards 5G telephony and OTT codecs.
The latest version of GL’s Voice Quality Analyzer supports the optional POLQA v3 upgrade (latest version of the POLQA algorithm). POLQA v3 supports full band audio analysis which provides improved scoring for mobile based VoLTE, 5G and OTT applications using EVS and OPUS codecs. POLQA v3 is more sensitive to distortions across the entire audio spectrum. In addition, POLQA v3 supports less harsh analysis of micropauses within the speech, reacts with less sensitivity to linear frequency distortions, and includes a significantly improved and streamlined perceptual model.
The VQT application is available with the following options:
- POLQA only (Optional upgrade POLQA v3)
- PESQ only
- POLQA (Optional upgrade POLQA v3) with PESQ
POLQA v3 Upgrade Enhancements
- POLQA v3 Super Wideband supports 14 kHz to full audio bandwidth up to 24 kHz
- Full band analysis improves accuracy in assessment of codecs such as EVS, OPUS, AAC and LC3, as these codecs are used in many OTT applications
- With full band support the discriminative power of POLQA at the upper high-quality range of the MOS scale is increased
- Current OTT voice services using VoLTE/5G include highly dynamic delay jitter which leads to variations of the duration of very short pauses during speech. POLQA v3 handles these variations with increased precision
- POLQA v3 is less sensitive to linear frequency distortions than POLQA v2.4. This makes measurements less dependent on the frequency characteristics of headsets
- Perceptual model of POLQA v3 is significantly improved and streamlined
- Voice Quality Testing (VQT) upgraded to POLQA v3 (ITU-T P.863), and PESQ (ITU-T P.862)
- Updates associated with POLQA v3 include a redesigned perceptual model for Full Band Audio analysis which is validated for VoLTE, 5G and OTT apps (supporting EVS and OPUS codecs)
- Provides Active Speech and Noise Levels, Latency, Jitter, Clipping, and Power measurements
- Manual or Auto modes of operations with centralized data access
- Test voice quality over all types of telecom networks - Wireless, VoIP, TDM, and PSTN
- Measure packet jitter in VoIP networks
- Analyze the effects of codec compression in wireless networks
- Automatic mode allows the GL’s VQT to execute on a network system
- VQT CLI or API is enhanced to fully support both Windows® and Linux for remote operations
For comprehensive information on the application, please visit our Voice Quality Analyzer web page.