Ethernet/IP Testing for LANs and WANs
Welcome to another issue of GL Communications newsletter providing information and insight into our PC-based Ethernet/IP test tool, called PacketCheck™. A powerful and cost-effective, real-time test and monitoring solution for LANs and WANs.
PacketCheck™ is a PC-based Ethernet / IP test tool that is powerful and cost-effective. It can be an invaluable tool to test and verify LANs and WANs.
- Confirm multistream and multi destination connectivity among all nodes,
- stop or start defined streams in real time
- control transmit and receive streams independently
- 100+ full-duplex streams per PacketCheck™
- Test bandwidth - up to 1 Gbps (10/100/1000 Mbps)
- Use a full-featured version or a loopback only version (with address swapping)at node endpoints
- Measure one-way or roundtrip delay automatically
- Test and measure end-to-end performance, including
- bit error rate test (BERT) from Layers 1 to 4
- throughput, packet loss, packet counts, and out of sequence packets
- errored packets and much more
- insert impairments at transmitter and measure at receiver
- Generate Reports
The application supports Ethernet testing at all protocol layers - from raw Ethernet frames to stacked VLAN, stacked MPLS, and IP packets with UDP payloads. PacketCheck™ uses the PC's network interface card (NIC) to transmit and receive Ethernet or IP packets over LANs and WANs.
Additional features include traffic simulation by the transmission of pre-recorded files, GTP traffic simulation, and traffic generation with IFG (Inter Frame Gap) of up to 5-millisecond accuracy. BER testing capability with PRBS patterns or user-defined test patterns.
PacketCheck™ has been updated to work with Multi Link Frame Relay (MFR). A traffic option has been added to MFR, called MFR-IP-PacketCheck™ which allows IP traffic generation over Frame Relay (FR) links. Multiple IP traffic streams can be generated and processed over multiple VCs created within the FR links. Each IP traffic stream can be configured to modify the IP packets with desired custom headers to emulate various modes (Bridge & Route).
MFR-IP-PacketCheck™ traffic is used to generate and receive IP packet streams to and from an FR router. The FR Router can be tested for routing the received packets to the proper destination.
- Generate/receive Ethernet or IP traffic of up to 800 Mbps bandwidth
- Supports minimum line rate of 64 bps
- Generates full-duplex Ethernet, IP, or UDP traffic to Tx and/or Rx traffic on any layer (Layer 1, Data Link with stacked VLAN/ MPLS, Network, Transport) with on-demand bandwidth
- Supports stacked VLAN (up to 3 stacks) and customizable stacked MPLS (up to 3 stacks)
- Measures throughput, round trip delay, one-way delay, total packets, packet loss, out of sequence frames, error frames, correct pattern frames
- BER Testing - bit error rate, sync loss count, bit error count, PRBS pattern generation/verification of various patterns like QRSS, 26-1, 29-1, 211-1, 215-1, 220-1, and 223-1
- Generate run-time impairments including the ability to insert or delete bytes, and byte-level impairments (AND, OR, XOR)
- Supports Jumbo frames in addition to all normal frame sizes (64 bytes to 1518 bytes)
- Displays stream-wise and aggregated statistics
- Create test reports in XML or PDF formats