Newsletter: GL Announces Handheld Analog Line Tester - vHandi™
Welcome to another August 2013 issue of GL's Newsletter providing information and insight into our latest product vHandi™ - a Portable Handheld FXO Tester.
GL’s vHandi™ is a compact portable hand-held FXO tester (Foreign Exchange Office) that can simulate an analog phone. The call and voice tests on vHandi™ can be completely automated or manually performed.
The vHandi™ comprises of -
- FXO RJ-11 port
- Ethernet RJ-45 port
- USB mini port
The FXO port on the vHandi™ connects to FXS port to perform call and traffic simulation. The vHandi™ is powered as well as managed via the USB connection. With an internal SD card, vHandi™ can be used as a mass storage device when plugged into the USB port of the PC.
The Ethernet port is a vHandi™ management port and it is used to connect vHandi™ to LAN or a PC for file transfer purposes. Transfer of recorded voice files from the vHandi™ to the remote PC can be completely automated using vHandi™ Listener and scripting as depicted in the figure below.
- Supports manual and automated operations
- ON hook and OFF hook (loop closure) for place call and answer call
- Loop Current Drop detection (auto disconnect)
- Ring Detection for incoming calls
- Transmit and capture traffic (digits, tones, and voice)
- Energy Detection for path confirmation or auto script synchronization
- Manual/Auto transfer recorded files using Ethernet port
- Speaker provided to hear incoming/outgoing audio from 2-wire established call
- LED indication for the battery charge level for vHandi™
- Generates Call Events, Error Events, and Traffic Events logAutomate the IVR testing process - call establishment and traffic generation / detection process through scripts
- Perform voice quality measurement as per ITU-T standards - PESQ, PSQM, and PAMS using vHandi™ with Voice Quality Test (VQT) software
- vHandi™ can also work directly with GL’s VQuad™ system, and send/receive voice files over the network
|Call Events||Traffic Events|
vHandi™ Test Setup Scenarios
Scenario 1: Place Call and perform Voice Quality Analysis
The call flow shown below depicts a call from vHandi™ FXO port to the DUT through the wall jack FXS, and local PBX. With the vHandi™ place call scripts, perform all operations such as place call, send DTMF digits, send or record voice, and automatically transfer recorded voice to central location for analysis. The performed events include Off hook/On hook, check dial tone, transmit DTMF digits, monitor ring signal, and transmit or receive voice files.
vHandi™ also provides the ability to send DTMF on a established call for two-stage dialing or traversing through an IVR.
Scenario 2: Answer Call and perform Voice Quality Analysis
The call flow shown below depicts vHandi™ receiving call from DUT.
The performed events include Wait for Incoming Call. Detect Ring, Go off hook (answer Call), Send or Record voice, Send Degraded file to Central System for VQT analysis, and Disconnect (onhook).
For comprehensive information on the tool, you can refer to the vHandi™ web page.