Press Release: GL Announces Linux Drivers & APIs
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - May 2, 2011 - GL Communications Inc. announced today the release of Linux
Driver Support for Universal T1 E1 and OC-3/12 STM-1/4 Cards. Speaking to newsmen, Mr. Vijay Kulkarni, CEO of the
company said,Ē The Internet as we know it today would not exist without "open source software", a model based on
collaborative software development available free to anyone. Its roots are in academia, colleges, and universities where
open and free exchange of ideas (and software) is a way of life. The Internet is powered by open source, like Linux,
Apache, TCP/IP, DNS, PHP, the list is endless.Ē
He added, ďLinux is the shining star of open source. So GL is developing Linux drivers and APIs for our flagship products!
Since our cards have unique features unavailable with other industry standard cards, customers can now build custom
applications faster and cheaper. Currently, we have Linux drivers and APIs for our T1 E1 Universal and OC-3/12 STM-1/4
Cards. All of the functionality of the hardware is exposed through the API. In addition, many software based functions are
available that ease even the most complex application development.Ē
Details of Linux APIs and Drivers
- Having ported our "GLComIFC" from Windows to Linux, the driver and API expose all features of the hardware for both T1 E1 and OC-3/12 STM-1/4 Cards
- An API Toolkit provides examples how to access the Raw Data, Set / Reset Registers, Set Clocking Modes,
Get / Set Alarms, Loopbacks
- For T1 E1 Universal Card, examples are provided for:
- Implementing HDLC on single timeslots or multitimeslot streams, ATM cell delineation and much more
- Implementing Delay and BERT, Record/Playback on sub-timeslot, timeslot, and multi-timeslot streams
- Working with multiple cards in a single PC, Implementation methods for Frame Relay in software, Accessing Pulse Mask and Jitter measurements,
Dropping / Adding VF Input and VF Output
- Configuring special cabling options like Cross Port Thru, Cross Port Transmit, Bridge, and Monitor
- Access to Error Insertion Logic, Access to Tx Frequency Deviation Logic
- For OC-3/12 STM-1/4 (LightSpeed1000™ Card), examples are provided for:
- Works on Win32 and Linux with C/C++ interfaces (VS2005 and above for windows)
- Record / Playback at Wirespeed at (Gigabits/sec)!
- Scrambling / Non-scrambled payload management in ATM / POS / Transparent modes with Internal and Recovered Clock management
- Loopback Line / Diagnostic / PL3, Rx Terminate / Monitor support, ATM Idle Cell Control, Hardware Data Filters
- Hardware and Software Based Performance Counters, SFP Information, Alarm Monitoring (OOF, LOF, LOS, AIS, RDI, APSBF )
- ATM Error Counters ( BIP, REI, HEC ), POS Error Counters (BIP, REI, Rx/Tx abort, Min/Max length)
- Hardware BERT, POS FCS 32-bit, 16-bit and no-FCS support, POS Hardware Appending / Stripping FCS, Overhead Byte Configuration,
Section and Line Error Counts, Insert HCS Errors
About GL Communications Inc
Founded in 1986, GL Communications Inc. is a leading supplier of test, monitoring, and analysis equipment for TDM,
Wireless, IP and VoIP networks. Unlike conventional test equipment, GL's test platforms provide visualization, capture,
storage, and convenient features like portability, remotability, and scripting.
GLís TDM Analysis & Emulation line of products includes T1, E1, T3, E3, OC-3, OC-12, STM-1, STM-4, analog four-wire,
and analog two-wire interface cards, external portable pods, and complete system solutions. Capabilities include voiceband
traffic analysis and emulation across all traffic types (voice, digits, tones, fax, modem), all protocols (ISDN, SS7, GR-303,
Frame Relay, HDLC, V5.X, ATM, GSM, GPRS, LTE, etc.), and with capacities up to thousands of channels. Our newest products
provide astonishing capacity and capture capability up to and including gigabit speeds.
GLís VoIP and IP products generate / analyze thousands of calls and traffic simultaneously with traffic types such as
frames, packets, voice files, digits, video, tones, noise, and fax. Almost all codecs are supported including G.711, G.729,
AMR, EVRC-A,B,C, GSM, iSAC, and many more. Additional features include visual analysis, real-time listening, and recording.
The product line also includes Ethernet / IP Testing capability that simulates and checks frame transport and throughput
parameters of Ethernet and IP networks, including delay, errors and other impairments.
GL's Voice Quality Testing (VQT) product line complements all of GL's products. Using ITU-standard algorithms (PAMS,
PSQM, and PESQ), GL's VQT provides a widely accepted solution for assessing voice quality in the telecom industry. Voice
Quality Testing across multiple networks (T1, E1, T3, E3, OC-3, OC-12, VoIP, Wireless, and Landline) are all available.
GLís Wireless Products perform protocol analysis and voice quality assessment on GSM, CDMA, UMTS, and LTE
networks. Connections can be made to any wireless phone with automated call control, GPS mapping and real-time signal
GLís Echo Canceller testing solutions provide the broadest range of simulation and analysis, including line and acoustic
echo. GLís compliance testing per G.168. G.167 and P.340 across TDM, IP, VoIP and Wireless networks is widely accepted
in the industry.
GLís wireless VQT solutions help assessing impairments to voice quality such as poor mobile phone quality, voice
compression and decompression algorithms, delay, loss and gain in speech levels, noise, acoustic and landline echo, and
other distortions are easily assessed and accurately measured.
GLís Handheld data testers can test a wide variety of communications facilities and equipment including T1, fractional
T1, E1, fractional E1, T3 and E3 modems, multiplexers, CSU, DSUs, T1 CSUs, DTUs, NTUs and TIUs and more. The testers
provide convenience, economy, and portability for almost any interface, including RS232, RS-422, RS-530, X.21, T1, E1,
T3, E3, and many others.
GLís Network Surveillance and Monitoring products include Probes for TDM, IP, VoIP, ATM, and Wireless networks. An
open standards based approach provides a scalable, feature rich, real-time access to network characteristics. Centralized
or distributed access, efficient transport and database loading allow compatibility with 3rd party and standards based
For more information about GL's complete line of products,
Back to Press Releases Index Page
Phone: 301-670-4784 ext. 114