Press Release: GL Enhances PacketExpert™
with Command Line and Multi Device Support
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - May 04, 2012- GL Communications Inc. announced today the release of its latest Enhanced PacketExpert™ - A Quad Port Ethernet / VLAN / MPLS / IP / UDP tester software.
Speaking to reporters, Mr. Jagdish Vadalia Senior Manager said, "PacketExpertô is a portable Quad Port Ethernet / VLAN / MPLS / IP / UDP Tester with 4 Electrical Ethernet Ports (10/100/1000 Mbps) and 2 Optical Ports (1000 Mbps). It connects to a Notebook PC through a USB 2.0 interface and each port provides independent Ethernet / VLAN / MPLS / IP / UDP testing at wirespeed for applications such as BERT, RFC 2544, and Loopback. Now multiple PacketExpertsô as provided in below picture may be controlled with a single PC."
He added, "Command line support has also been added. The newly added Command Line Interface (CLI) feature to PacketExpertô is in three different modes: Console Based CLI, Client Server Based CLI, and Windows Client Server Based CLI. All functions available through the GUI are available through commands - such as All Port Bert, Bert Loopback, All Port Loopback, and RFC 2544 using any one of the 3 modes."
Mr. Vadalia further explained, "Console Based CLI is a stand-alone console based application. The user can enter commands in the console prompt, executed and results displayed in the console itself.
Client-Server Based CLI is also a console-based application. But, here, the CLI runs as a console based server, waiting for client commands. The client is also a console-based application that accepts commands through the command line, and executes only one command at a time. It sends the command to the server locally through a local UDP socket, waits for the result of execution and this is useful for automation, where the commands need to be called from a different third-party application. Both client and server must run on the same PC.
And Windows Client Server (GL Windows Client/Server) Based CLI utilizes GL's WCS framework. Client sends the command to the server. Server processes the commands and replies with the results to the client. This does not necessarily require the client and server to run on the same PC. Single GUI/CLI can control multiple PacketExpertô hardware units for BERT and Loopback."
Important New Features
- Capable of generating/receiving Ethernet to IP traffic at wire speed
- Capable of handling full wire speed BERT, in both directions, on all available ports.
- Easily control multiple hardware units from a single GUI, multiplying the number of ports available per system
- Command Line Interfaces Ė Console based CLI as well as GL's WCS (Windows Client Server) based CLI, allowing remote control
- Supports Loopback, allowing for easy test setup.
- Wire speed BERT and RFC 2544 testing over Framed Ethernet (Layer2), Stacked MPLS (Layer2.5), IP and UDP. BERT testing is also supported on Layer1.
- Support for BERT, RFC 2544 and Loopback testing with stacked VLAN (Q-in-Q) Ė up to 3 levels
- Support for BERT, and RFC 2544 testing with stacked MPLS, up to 3 levels
- Support for BERT, Loopback and RFC 2544 testing over IPv6
- Supports industry standards PRBS patterns 29-1, 211-1, 215-1, 220-1, 223-1, 229-1, and 231-1, constant patterns like all ones, all zeroes, alt ones-zeroes and user-defined test patterns ranging between 1 to 32 bits.
- Optional sequence number insertion allows detecting out-of-sequence packets and packet loss.
- Error Insertion capability - Single as well as constant rate Bit Error and FCS Error Insertion.
- Throughput, back-to-back, latency and frame loss testing as per RFC 2544 for Uni-directional and Bi-Directional traffic between ports.
- Easy to setup and conduct RFC2544 tests using user-defined parameters such as frame size, trial duration, number of trials, etc.
- Real-time results are presented in both tabular as well as graphical format.
- Detailed test result reports in PDF and CSV file formats.
- Detailed frame statistics in tabular format for all the ports.
- User-defined or auto-negotiated electrical ports can operate at 10/100/1000 Mbps line rates in Full Duplex mode; optical ports can operate at 1000 Mbps line rate in Full Duplex mode only.
- Loopback capability for incoming traffic. Both smart loopback (auto layer detection) and selected user-defined layers loopback capabilities are supported.
- Support for frame lengths from 64 bytes to Jumbo frames (up to 2048 bytes).
- User-defined header parameters for MAC, VLAN, MPLS, IP and UDP layers.
- Support for ARP, Ping, IPv6 etc.
- Field upgradeable technology allows tester to stay current with industry trend
For comprehensive information on the product, please visit PacketExpert™
About GL Communications Inc
Founded in 1986, GL Communications Inc. is a leading supplier of test, monitoring, and analysis equipment for TDM,
Wireless, IP and VoIP networks. Unlike conventional test equipment, GL's test platforms provide visualization, capture,
storage, and convenient features like portability, remotability, and scripting.
GLís TDM Analysis & Emulation line of products includes T1, E1, T3, E3, OC-3, OC-12, STM-1, STM-4, analog four-wire,
and analog two-wire interface cards, external portable pods, and complete system solutions. Capabilities include voiceband
traffic analysis and emulation across all traffic types (voice, digits, tones, fax, modem), all protocols (ISDN, SS7, GR-303,
Frame Relay, HDLC, V5.X, ATM, GSM, GPRS, LTE, etc.), and with capacities up to thousands of channels. Our newest products
provide astonishing capacity and capture capability up to and including gigabit speeds.
GLís VoIP and IP products generate / analyze thousands of calls and traffic simultaneously with traffic types such as
frames, packets, voice files, digits, video, tones, noise, and fax. Almost all codecs are supported including G.711, G.729,
AMR, EVRC-A,B,C, GSM, iSAC, and many more. Additional features include visual analysis, real-time listening, and recording.
The product line also includes Ethernet / IP Testing capability that simulates and checks frame transport and throughput
parameters of Ethernet and IP networks, including delay, errors and other impairments.
GL's Voice Quality Testing (VQT) product line complements all of GL's products. Using ITU-standard algorithms (PAMS,
PSQM, and PESQ), GL's VQT provides a widely accepted solution for assessing voice quality in the telecom industry. Voice
Quality Testing across multiple networks (T1, E1, T3, E3, OC-3, OC-12, VoIP, Wireless, and Landline) are all available.
GLís Wireless Products perform protocol analysis and voice quality assessment on GSM, CDMA, UMTS, and LTE
networks. Connections can be made to any wireless phone with automated call control, GPS mapping and real-time signal
GLís Echo Canceller testing solutions provide the broadest range of simulation and analysis, including line and acoustic
echo. GLís compliance testing per G.168. G.167 and P.340 across TDM, IP, VoIP and Wireless networks is widely accepted
in the industry.
GLís wireless VQT solutions help assessing impairments to voice quality such as poor mobile phone quality, voice
compression and decompression algorithms, delay, loss and gain in speech levels, noise, acoustic and landline echo, and
other distortions are easily assessed and accurately measured.
GLís Handheld data testers can test a wide variety of communications facilities and equipment including T1, fractional
T1, E1, fractional E1, T3 and E3 modems, multiplexers, CSU, DSUs, T1 CSUs, DTUs, NTUs and TIUs and more. The testers
provide convenience, economy, and portability for almost any interface, including RS232, RS-422, RS-530, X.21, T1, E1,
T3, E3, and many others.
GLís Network Surveillance and Monitoring products include Probes for TDM, IP, VoIP, ATM, and Wireless networks. An
open standards based approach provides a scalable, feature rich, real-time access to network characteristics. Centralized
or distributed access, efficient transport and database loading allow compatibility with 3rd party and standards based
For more information about GL's complete line of products,
Back to Press Releases Index Page
Phone: 301-670-4784 ext. 114