Network-Wide Voice Quality Monitoring
Click here to get more information on "WebViewer™ Live Demo"
GL’s Automated System Wide Network Testing solution provides the means to test all telecom networks, using a variety of interfaces, in an
automated and unattended fashion. The solution includes support for both intrusive end-points and non-intrusive ‘taps’. The intrusive nodes,
running GL's VQuad™ software with a USB based hardware component (Dual UTA – Universal Telephony Adapter) connects
to any interface of your network, including Mobile Wireless, Smartphone Headset Connection, 2-Wire Analog, VoIP Softphone, PTT Radio, and T1/E1 PRI and
performs automated testing of voice, data, and video quality on the associated network. Non-intrusive nodes are deployed at various points within the VoIP
and TDM network for unmanned analytical operation.
GL's VQuad™ along with the Voice Quality Testing (VQT),
Echo Measurement Utility (EMU), Voice Band Analyzer (VBA)
& NetTest applications allows
end-to-end intrusive testing for voice, data and video quality, echo, noise, call failure rates, and other impairments between and within different networks.
Finally, Round Trip Delay and One Way Delay measurements are provided directly via the Dual UTA hardware.
All events (including call control), CDR’s, data test results, VQT results, VBA results, Echo measurements, NetTest
results from PC and Mobile devices, errors, and user-defined messages can be automatically sent to a Central Location for storage within the database
via simple TCP/IP connections. If the TCP/IP connection is unavailable, results are saved to the local system until the connection is re-established or until the user
manually transfers the data to the Central location database. Its simplicity and ease of use make it ideal for hybrid networks encountered in today's telecom
At the Central location, the measurements are automatically analyzed using a variety of Analytical Tools such as VQT
(Voice Quality Testing), EMU (Echo Measurement Utility),
Automated Data Testing (NetTest) including TCP,
UDP capacity, VoIP, Route, HTTP, FTP, and DNS, and VBA (Voice Band Analyzer) including E-model scores, Call Failure Rates, etc., with all results saved
to the database. The Central location also includes a Command Center which can automatically schedule loading, starting and stopping of individual
tests throughout the network. Included with the Command Center, an email alert can be generated automatically if certain tests fail, threshold are not met,
or nodes become inaccessible within the network. The email alerts are user-defined and supports multiple email addresses.
The GL WebViewer™ browser connects to the Central database via
the internet for access to all results and network status. Through the client browser it is possible to remotely access any node associated with the network.
Transfer configuration files between the VQuad™ nodes and your local system for enhancements. Automatically send the
updated configuration back to the VQuad system (or all VQuad™ systems). Rerun the test using the enhanced
VQuad™ configuration, all from the WebViewer™ browser running on either
Windows® based or Mac based systems (including iPhone and iPad devices). Results can be queried based on a variety of criteria including time, location,
test name, phone number, analysis threshold limits, and user-defined events. The queried results are displayed both in tabular and graphical formats. Also
available are statistics and Network wide real-time status. The WebViewer™ can also be used to remotely
access individual nodes to create/modify test scripts, load and start/stop test scripts, and perform several other rudimentary operations.
The essential elements of this monitoring system are:
- VQuad™ along with its associated hardware establishes calls or direct connections
between varieties of physical interfaces. The degraded (recorded) voice files along with all events and measurements are
automatically transferred from the individual VQuad™ nodes to the Central location
- VQT (Voice Quality Testing) , VBA (Voice band Analyzer),
EMU (Echo Measurement Utility) and
DataTest (NetTest from PC and Mobile Devices) are centrally located (no need for algorithms at every
VQuad™ location) and automatically analyze the degraded voice files. Results are saved to the Central database for
access via the GL WebViewer™.
- The Central database, either Oracle or MSAccess, is used to store all data collected by the individual probes.
- The WebViewer™ (using a web interface) facilitates the
display of real-time and historic data. Also, included is the ability to filter the collected traffic summary and graphically analyze the call volume, MOS, call
completion, failed calls, completed calls, PDD, and delay measurement through a simple web browser. The
WebViewer™ supports real-time Network status as well as Remote functionality to all configured probes.
- All results/measurements/events from VQuad™, VQT, VBA, EMU,
Mobile device Controller (NetTest) automatically sent to central database via TCP/IP Results are accessible
remotely via browser based clients
- Automated Data testing using NetTest packages is available for Mobile devices (i.e. iPhone, Android)
along with Ethernet connection (wired, WiFi, 3G/4G Broadband card) associated with the PC.
- Multi-user support, and user-friendly interface
- Remote Control all probes within network using WebViewer™
- Provides database query methods in order to query VQT, Call Events (Call Failure, Call Dropped, Call ID), Echo Measurements, Data
Testing (via Mobile device or PC Ethernet), and Delay Measurement results.
- Query results based on a variety of mechanisms including, but not limited to, time, device ID, location/test name, result threshold,
result condition or value
- Results are displayed both in tabular and graphical formats
- Output results to text or Excel file
- Supports Oracle or MSAccess Central Database for storing real-time and historic data
- What interfaces are supported in Intrusive Network-wide VQT?
Using the GL VQuad™ with Dual UTA combination, intrusive testing can be performed in an
automated manner over a variety of different interface. Supported interfaces include mobile phone (either via Audio Interface or Bluetooth™®/ Wifi/ PTT,
LTE, PC internet connection (Broadband – 3G, 4G), 2-wire Analog FXO (simulates an analog phone), VoIP SIP Softphone (simulate a Softphone or connect to
your Softphone), and TDM T1/E1 PRI/CAS, ‘SS7 coming soon’. These intrusive endpoints can place/answer calls, perform call failure rate tests, perform secondary
service tests (i.e. 3-way calling, call transfer), and perform a variety of measurements for proper analysis of the established voice call.
- What interfaces are supported in Non-Intrusive Network-wide VQT?
Using the GL VQuad™ with TDM, VoIP, and Analog options,
non-intrusive testing can be performed seamlessly for unmanned analytical operation.
- What are different types of measurements / results can be viewed using remote-browser?
All aspects of the network are tested including Call Failure Rates (CFR), Voice Quality (VQT), Delay Measurements
(RTD, OWD, PDD), Voice and Analysis (E-model based MOS scores), Echo Measurements, and Data (NetTest from PC and Mobile devices) measurements. If
connecting to a VoIP network the RTP stream are non-intrusively analyzed for PacketLoss and Delay.
The Dual UTA provides a means to accurately measure Round Trip Delay (RTD), One Way Delay (OWD), and Signal
to Noise Ratio (SNR). GL’s VQT (Voice Quality Testing) software performs detailed analysis of voice using ITU standard
algorithms, PESQ, PAMS, and PSQM. Mean Opinion Score (MOS), speech level, noise level, echo, and other distortions
common to voice transmissions are measured. Additional analytical measurements included Echo and E-model MOS
scores are provided by GL’s Voice Band Analyzer (VBA).
- How effective is the automation solution?
Each VQuad™ node possesses the ability to control its far end termination point
using TCP/IP. This allows for a fully synchronous and flexible automated process. Each
VQuad™ node also provides call control automation through scripts.
The Central location includes a Command Center which can automatically schedule loading, starting and stopping
of individual tests throughout the network. Included with the Command Center, an email alert can be generated
automatically if certain tests fail, threshold are not met, or nodes become inaccessible within the network. The email
alerts are user-defined and supports multiple email addresses.
Remote operation of the Command Center as well as the individual VQuad™
nodes is supported within the WebViewer™
clients. Network status of all nodes and the analysis tools running at the central location are also returned to the
WebViewer™ clients. Multiple WebViewer™
clients can access the network and perform database queries simultaneously.
Network Monitor Components
VQuad™ Nodes (Termination Points):
- Each VQuad™ device is utilized as an individual node supporting automated interfaces including -
- Mobile Phones, Bluetooth™®, Smartphones, Mobile Radio, WiMax, Wifi, Broadband 3G/4G, LTE, 2-wire Analog (FXO), T1/E1 (PRI/CAS),
and VoIP (SIP). The non-automated interfaces (balanced, handset, mobile radio) can be used in a non-automated fashion or in an automated fashion with
additional customer supplied call control functionality via external applications (batch files).
- Each VQuad™ node can support up to 8 devices, each device fully independent allowing up to 8
simultaneous tests. Individual ports associated with the VQuad™ can call any other VQuad™
device as well as call multiple VQuad™ devices using the flexible script capabilities.
- Multiple Dual UTA devices can be connected to a single VQuad™ software/hardware node.
- VQuad™ scripting supports -
- Call control, traffic generation, remote access, data testing, and generating other variety of tests. Additional commands available for
Bluetooth™® enabled Mobile phones includes RSSI, Battery Level, and Network identity
- Use of variables for many of the scripting functions. The variables are accessed via user-defined variable files.
- Extremely flexible and complex scripting routines that can effectively test the entire Network. Additional flexibility within the
VQuad™ scripting includes Pause and Wait events based on time and call progress (wait for connect, busy, dropped,
and failed calls).
- Ability to connect to a remote VQuad™ locations to perform most of the functions.
- VQuad™ supports
- Two-stage dialing is supported by the VQuad™ along with Call ID for most all interfaces and path
confirmation once the call is established.
- Additional analytical measurements supported by VQuad™ include Round Trip Delay (RTD),
One Way Delay (OWD), Post Dial Delay (PDD), Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)
- Automation of Transmit and Receive voice with synchronous triggering for Voice Quality Analysis.
- Testing includes Voice Quality and Data Analysis, Call Failure Rates, Dropped Calls, Testing of Data during voice calls. Additional
algorithms including C-Message and SNR also available.
- Data testing is available for Mobile devices (i.e. iPhone, Android) as well as the PC Ethernet connection (wired, WiFi, Broadband
(3G or 4G), LTE).
- Echo Measurement testing over TDM, VoIP, 2-Wire, and Wireless using
Echo Measurement Utility (EMU)
- Transmit/Receive Voice simultaneously on one side of the call or both ends of the call (requires GPS for accurate timing) for delay
measurements as well as echo measurements.
- GPS is available for each VQuad™ node in order to provide both location and precise timing.
Screen Shot of VQuad™
Central Location (Database, Command Center, Analysis, Search Engines):
- A centralized database stores all analytical measurements, call events, User Defined Events, Bluetooth® events, Data Test results, VQT results,
VBA results and error events associated with the individual VQuad™ nodes. These results, along with the Voice
Quality, Delay Measurements and Echo measurement results, are automatically transferred to the central location for processing and analysis. If
the TCP/IP connection is unavailable, the transfer process can be handled post-processing in a manual method.
- Additional information for each result is included within the database and includes timestamp of result or measurement.
- Supports full remote access and several automated functions which prevent failure of testing operations.
- Provides hierarchy of scheduling scripts, network status scripts, for controlling all VQuad™ nodes. Also, included with
the Command Center is the ability to provide user-defined automated email associated with VQuad™ errors as well as
VQT failed results.
Screen Shot of VQuad™ Command Center
Analysis (VQT, Additional Algorithms):
- Automated Voice Quality testing using ITU-P.862.1/2 PESQ algorithm.
- Automated Voice Quality testing using Analog E-Model.
- Automated Analytical results of recorded voice file using Voice Band Analyzer (VBA).
- VQuad™ with Dual UTA provides measurements for Round Trip Delay (RTD), One Way Delay (OWD),
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR), and Post Dial Delay (PDD).
- Automated Echo Measurements for all interfaces.
- Automated Data testing for PC Internet connection (Broadband 3G/4G, WiFi, Wired) and Apple/Android Mobile Devices including TCP, UDP, HTTP, VoIP,
Route, FTP and DNS.
- Support for Path Confirmation, and Call Failure Testing.
Screen Shot of VQT Algorithms
Database Results (WebViewer™ Search and Display of Results):
- Centrally located database can be queried using WebViewer™ (using WebServer capability).
- Search based on time/date range or based on last x-number of records in database.
- Supports user-defined Search Criteria associated with the WebViewer™, you can further define the
query based on user-defined criteria such as error call progress events, Call ID, location and/or device ID (to name a few).
- The WebViewer™ return a full array of
results including the Call Events, Measurement Results, VQT or E-Model
results along with full Statistics and graphical displays of the current search results.
- Remote operation of the Command Center as well as the individual VQuad™ nodes
is supported within the WebViewer™ client. Network status of all nodes
and the analysis tools running at the central location are also returned to the WebViewer™ client. Multiple
WebViewer™ client can access the network and perform database queries simultaneously.
Screen Shot of WebViewer™
* Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Back to Complete Voice Quality Testing Solutions Index Page